Alden is a highly regarded employee benefits and executive compensation lawyer.
Alden is the Practice Group Leader of the firm’s Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Practice. He advises corporate, not-for-profit, governmental, and individual clients on a broad range of executive compensation and employee benefits issues, including qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, stock and stock-based compensation arrangements, ERISA fiduciary and prohibited transaction issues, benefit-related aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and health and welfare plans. He is nationally renowned for his advice on the Affordable Care Act's impact on employers. He represented the Romney administration in connection with the historic 2006 Massachusetts health care reform act. Alden has testified before the Senate Finance Committee on the subject of health care reform. His many published works include the Bloomberg/Bureau of National Affairs Health Care Reform Advisor, a comprehensive work on the impact of the Affordable Care Act on employers and employer-sponsored group health plans. He is also the current chair of the Bloomberg Tax Compensation Planning Journal Advisory Board.
- Georgetown University (LLM)
- Boston University (LLM, Taxation)
- Suffolk University Law School (JD)
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute (BS)
- Served as counsel to a global staffing company on the US regulatory aspects of all of its worldwide stock compensation arrangements. Also advised the company on all US tax-qualified and non-qualified pension plans, welfare arrangements, and fringe benefit programs.
- Advised CitiGroup on all its U.S. employee welfare benefits programs, including compliance with the Affordable Care Act and a top-to-bottom review of their retiree health benefit plans.
- Advised the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on the correction of qualification failures under the Commonwealths’ public employee pension plans. The plans in issue have over $80 billion in assets and provide pension benefits to tens of thousands of current and former state employees.
- Serve as outside benefits counsel to a nationwide pharmacy on all matters relating to their benefit and compensation programs, in addition to representing the company in investigations before government agencies.
- Advised the ERISA Industry Committee on the Affordable Act and other welfare plan issues and to prepare comments to the Treasury Department on proposed regulations issued under the Affordable Care Act’s employer shared responsibility rules.
- Retained by Robert Half International to write a comprehensive explanation of the Affordable Care Act for RHI U.S. clients and prospects.
- Advised a large Massachusetts city on their transfer into a state-sponsored group health arrangement and PBM.
- Prepared a master ERISA compliance checklist for third-party-administration affiliate of a state-licensed health insurance issuer.
- Advise William Gallagher & Associates’s benefits brokers and consultants on pension and welfare issues and employment law matters.
- Served as outside benefits counsel to Protector Group on employee benefits issues with a focus on compliance with the Affordable Care Act.
- We serve as outside benefits council to PrideStaff on matters relating to compliance with the Affordable Care Act.
- Served as outside benefits counsel to Paradigm Health Plans on matters relating to compliance with the Affordable Care Act and matters relating to group health insurance products.
- Serve as outside benefits counsel to the American Staffing Association on benefits and employment matters, and in connection with impact of the Affordable Care Act on ASA members.
- Routinely advise a regional benefits consulting firm that provides advice to employers with various benefits-related issues.
- Represented a state Blue Cross Blue Shield organization on a top-to-bottom re-write of their ASO agreements for ERISA-covered plans.
Recognition & Awards
- Bloomberg BNA: 2015 Federal Tax Contributor of the Year for his article “Information Reporting Under the Affordable Care Act: I.R.C. §6055 and §6056,” which was featured in the Compensation Planning Journal
- Who’s Who Legal: Labour, Employment & Benefits (2016)
- Best Lawyers in America: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (1995 – 2018)
- Chambers USA: Nationwide – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (2010 – 2017)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts (Band 1) – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (2006 – 2017)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Employee Benefits/ERISA List (2006 – 2018)
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Named as a JD Supra Top Author, Affordable Care Act (2017)
- Fellow, American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- Member, BNA Pension & Benefit Publications Advisory Board