Roy’s practice encompasses federal, state, and international tax matters focusing on mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, financings, internal restructurings and reorganizations.
He provides tax advice and counsel to strategic and private equity investors, as well as individuals, corporations, partnerships, nonprofits, and other entities.
Roy has provided tax services for substantial US and international transactions, including:
- Separate sales of two medical diagnostic laboratories in S Corporation form for approximately $50 million each.
- Tax due diligence and post-acquisition restructuring related to the $1.5 billion acquisition of a producer of industrial water treatment products and technology with operations in more than 20 countries.
- $3 billion cash carve-out sale by a public company to a private equity investor of a business making equipment ancillary to semi-conductor manufacturing (2021).
- $250 million cash sale by founders and a PE investor of an internet security consulting business to a non-US strategic buyer (2021).
- $350 million cash sale of a multi-generational family business to a strategic buyer, requiring creative tax-driven solutions to address family goals, certain intransigent owners, and idiosyncratic structure (2021).
- Representation of a private equity investor in its $50 million investment in a manufacturer of engineered construction equipment that included a 20% founder rollover (2020).
- $2 billion sale of a 20% equity interest of a non-US biotechnology company to a U.S. biopharmaceutical company to form a strategic collaboration with respect to the development and sale of a cancer fighting compound (2019).
- Representation of equity owners in $200 million cash-out sale to a PE investor of a 25% interest in an LLC conducting an international administrative services business (2019).
Over the course of his career, Roy has worked with publicly traded companies, private equity and hedge funds, family offices, business and commercial aviation companies, technology and other manufacturers, media and entertainment companies, software developers, Internet companies, foreign exchange brokers and stock brokers, international banks, S&Ls, hospitals and health care providers, colleges and universities, and charitable organizations.
He has been requested to speak at a number of industry events, including participation in a multiday symposium convened to help Harvard Law School make recommendations to the UN on the adoption of a revised model tax treaty, and “Arkansas Best coalition” efforts to advise and influence the IRS regarding development of tax rules for hedging transactions.
Prior to joining Mintz, Roy was a partner at another law firm in the Boston area. In addition, he served as director of international tax for a prominent corporation, and worked for a significant period of time in Big Four public accounting. He is also a Certified Public Accountant.
- Syracuse University (JD)
- Syracuse University (BS)
Recognition & Awards
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Member, International Fiscal Association