Steve is an intellectual property attorney who specializes in patent prosecution and portfolio management for US and international companies in the semiconductor, automotive, consumer electronics, and other high technology fields. He helps clients obtain and enforce patents involving mechanical, electrical, computer hardware and software, and materials science innovations as well as household consumer products and business methods. His practice also encompasses patent litigation, preparing infringement and validity opinions, and handling patent appeals before the US Patent and Trademark Office. He was previously a patent examiner at the USPTO, where he reviewed manufacturing and packaging systems patent applications.
Steve's practice focuses on obtaining and enforcing U.S. and international patents in the mechanical, electrical, computer, and materials science arts. He has prosecuted numerous patent applications for inventions including semiconductor devices, automotive systems and components, image processing devices, telecommunications devices, household consumer products, medical devices, computer hardware and software, and business methods.
Steve specializes in actively prosecuting and managing substantial patent portfolios for U.S. and non-U.S. companies in high technology fields such as semiconductor manufacturing and consumer electronics. Steve readily uses cost-saving approaches to advance cases in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, including the After Final Consideration Pilot Program (AFCP 2.0) and Pre-Appeal Brief Request for Review, in order to reduce incidence of appeals.
In addition, Steve counsels clients, prepares infringement and validity opinions, and handles patent litigation cases. He frequently provides litigation support and infringement/validity analysis for technologies such as electrophotographic reproduction systems, consumer products, and medical equipment.
Steve’s practice extends to several jurisdictions outside of the United States and to intellectual property organizations. He has argued successfully in oral and written proceedings before the U.S. Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences. Following law school, Steve was a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, where he examined patent applications in the fields of manufacturing and packaging systems and methods.
- Suffolk University Law School (JD, cum laude)
- University of Illinois (BA)
- University of Illinois (BS, Mechanical Engineering)
- Prepared infringement and invalidity opinions for a major multinational consumer electronics firm
- Handles a substantial portfolio of utility patents for a prominent Taiwanese semiconductor packaging company
- Manages a portfolio of utility and design patents for a market-leading U.S.-based consumer products company
Recognition & Awards
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Presenter, ACI Patent Reform Conference (New York, 2014)
- Coach and Manager, Newton North Little League (2010-16)