Brian’s practice focuses on health care and life sciences, and he has over 35 years of experience working on transactions involving health care and life sciences entities. He represents managed care companies, insurers, academic medical centers, hospital systems, investors, including venture capital and private equity funds, life sciences companies, and information technology companies.
His experience includes mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, financings, investments, licensing, governance structure and relationships, marketing arrangements, services arrangements, outsourcing, and other contracting.
Brian has presented on panels on behalf of organizations as the Practising Law Institute, the American Bar Association, and the New York State Bar Association.
During law school, he served as executive editor of the Journal of International and Comparative Law.
- New York Law School (JD)
- State University of New York (BA)
- Represented a large and prestigious academic medical system in multiple joint ventures, including one for the research and development of certain cancer therapies; and another with two parties: a software company that has a clinical discovery platform, and a university health science center.
- Represented another large and prestigious academic system in multiple joint venture affiliations with regional hospitals outside of New York City, relating to the medical school’s nationally recognized expertise in assisted reproductive services, including in vitro fertilization. Also, represented certain related fertility physicians in connection with a spinoff of their practice to an independent entity, managed by a private equity backed fertility services company.
- Regularly counsels a large health plan offering Medicare Advantage, Medicaid Managed Care, Commercial, and Managed Long Term Care products on various matters necessary to the growth of the health plan, including mergers and acquisitions, financings, Medicare audits and reporting, ACA benefits and compliance, investigations and executive compensation matters.
- Acted as transaction counsel for a New York-based non-profit organization established in the 19th century that has been providing a broad range of services to the elderly. Our representation related to a strategic partnership and related transactions with a New York-based non-profit organization that is one of the largest and most innovative health systems in the region. We provided all of the necessary services, including advising the Board of Trustees; drafting and negotiating all necessary documentation; conducting due diligence, and providing health regulatory and antitrust advice and counsel, including assisting with the requisite Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act (HSR) filing.
- Represented a community-based not-for-profit managed care organization in connection with the transfer of its membership interest in a plan serving over 300,000 enrollees to another not-for-profit health insurer serving more than 613,000 enrollees in the states of New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire.
- Represented one of the largest and most prestigious health systems in New York City in its sale of its outreach laboratory business to a leading, international life sciences company. Our representation included all aspects of the transaction, including drafting and negotiating all necessary documents, providing structuring and health regulatory advice and counsel, and antitrust advice and counsel, including assistance with the HSR filing.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: New York – Healthcare (2011 – 2018)
- Nightingale's Healthcare News: Outstanding Healthcare Transaction Lawyer (2007)
- Best Lawyers in America: Healthcare Law (2016 – 2019)
- Included on the New York Super Lawyers: Health Care list (2018)
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Health Law Committee, New York City Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association