Anthony deftly handles a broad array of litigation matters for a myriad of sports, entertainment, and media clients. He represents professional athletes and entertainers in courts around the country and handles sensitive matters for entertainment companies. Another key focus of his practice includes representing sports agencies and professional athletes in fee dispute arbitrations. And he negotiates endorsement deals for athletes and television and motion picture contracts for actors, writers, producers and directors and broadcast licensing arrangements for Television Producers.
Anthony’s practice primarily focuses on commercial litigation and intellectual property with a focus on the sports, media and entertainment industry. His extensive experience includes advising and counseling professional athletes in the NBA, NFL and MLB, representing at least one number one overall draft pick in all three major sports. In his capacity as General Counsel to professional athletes and agencies, he has advised on matters related to, amongst other things, Player- Agent disputes before the NBPA and MLBPA, NCAA Regulatory Compliance, endorsement and sponsorship agreements, professional boxing promoter and licensing agreements and Title IX Sexual Assault Matters. Anthony has also been called upon to represent professional athletes in high profile domestic relations matters. His litigation practice is national in scope and has resulted in him handling matters in California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina and Texas. Anthony is Co-chair of the firm's Sports & Entertainment Practice.
Anthony has represented a wide variety of enterprises, including studios, television and cable networks, in highly sensitive litigation and business transactions. He has also represented some of Hollywood's brightest stars in negotiating hundreds of motion picture and television actor, writer, producer and director agreements, stage production agreements, and broadcast licensing arrangements.
Prior to joining Mintz, Anthony served as the founding and managing partner in the Atlanta office of a prominent national law firm. He was the chair of the firm’s national sports, media & entertainment law practice and a member of the commercial litigation and intellectual property practice groups.
- Rutgers University (JD)
- Iona College (BBA)
- Counseled and advised numerous amateur track and field athletes on whether to become professionals and negotiated ground breaking endorsement agreements with apparel companies.
- Defended an American actress in an Illinois law suit brought by the ex-wife of her husband, a professional basketball player, alleging that she had engaged in inappropriate conduct in the presence of her husband’s children.
- Represented a major sports agency in the international debt refinancing and acquisition of professional football, baseball, and basketball practices.
- Represented a professional basketball player in securing an injunction against his reality star ex-girlfriend in Florida, which enjoined her from mentioning his name in the media.
- Represented a television network in a copyright infringement case regarding a reality television show.
- Represented boxing promoters in negotiating promotional, match, television production, and licensing agreements and in securing required approvals from sanctioning bodies and state commissioners.
- Represented sports agencies and professional athletes in fee dispute arbitrations AAA, JAMS, Major League Baseball Player's Association and National Basketball Player's Association.
Recognition & Awards
- Rolling Out: One of the 100 Most Influential People in Entertainment (2008)
- The Network Journal: Top 40 Under Forty Achievement Award (2004)
- Who's Who Legal: Sports & Entertainment (2007 – 2009, 2015)