Clancy is a seasoned litigator who consistently achieves positive results for his clients in a variety of areas through favorable settlements, written court decisions, and positive outcomes at trial. Clancy brings a keen sense of budgetary and business concerns, along with a steady hand to litigation, and regularly manages all phases of litigation from initial risk assessment through trial, including leading e-discovery and working within budgets, counseling clients on various litigation risks, deposing fact and expert witnesses, drafting and arguing dispositive motions in federal court, mounting successful Daubert / Frye challenges to opposing experts, conducting effective direct and cross-examinations at trial and delivering powerful closing arguments, and leading settlement negotiations. Clancy has experience defending significant lawsuits in multidistrict litigation as well as individual cases pending in state and federal courts across the country. He has served on multiple trial teams that have obtained defense verdicts and been awarded summary judgment in venues across the country.
Clancy focuses the majority of his litigation practice on representing major pharmaceutical companies in complex product liability and mass tort litigation, and also has experience in other complex civil litigation, including shareholder disputes, business arbitrations, breach of contract/warranty disputes, insurance disputes, government enforcement actions, white-collar criminal defense, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and other government investigations.
In addition, Clancy is committed to pro bono work. He leads the firm’s relationship with Veterans Legal Services and regularly represents victims of domestic violence.
While in law school, Clancy worked as a law clerk for the Honorable Susan Garsh of the Superior Court of Massachusetts.
- Washington University in St. Louis (JD)
- Connecticut College (BA, American Studies)
- Represents a publicly-traded biotechnology company in product liability claims alleging that one of its medications caused serious physical injuries.
- Represents a privately-held medical device manufacturer in a Lanham Act false advertising case brought by one of its competitors.
- Represents a large insurer in a coverage dispute in federal court.
- Represents a publicly-traded medical device manufacturer in a breach of warranty dispute with a component supplier.
- Represented a large privately-held company in an arbitration proceeding, successfully litigating a breach of contract dispute arising out of a recall involving claims totaling over $100 million.
- Represented a global asset management company in an arbitration proceeding, successfully litigating claims against former employees for breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, trade secrets, and fraud.
- Represented a publicly traded medical device manufacturer in a breach of contract dispute with an investor.
- Represented a publicly traded medical device manufacturer in a product liability claim involving catastrophic injuries.
- Represented a publicly traded biotechnology company in multi-jurisdictional pharmaceutical product liability disputes, including wrongful death claims, involving an FDA-approved medication, and obtained summary judgment in multiple venues based on federal implied preemption arguments.
- Represented a publicly traded biotechnology company in pharmaceutical product liability claims involving cardiovascular risks in federal district court and obtained a favorable outcome.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in a shareholder dispute arising out of an acquisition and obtained a favorable outcome.
- Represented a publicly traded pharmaceutical company in a product liability claim involving birth defects in federal district court and obtained summary judgment.
- Represented and obtained favorable trial verdicts for a major pharmaceutical company in mass tort litigation involving systemic injuries from a pharmaceutical product.
- Represented individuals as part of ongoing government investigations.
- Provided litigation risk assessment counseling to global conglomerate regarding safety procedures.
- Assisted in developing globally applicable anti-corruption policies and procedures incorporating the requirements of the US FCPA, UK Bribery Act, and numerous additional jurisdictions.
- Assisted in defense of largest criminal environmental prosecution by DOJ in history.
Recognition & Awards
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Boston Future Leaders Program (2019)