Eric is a seasoned litigator specializing in international commercial disputes and global asset recovery. He has extensive experience in complex cases involving racketeering (RICO) and fraud-based claims, breach of distribution, sales and licensing agreements, false advertising, unfair competition and misappropriation of trade secrets. Eric has developed unique expertise in identifying and recovering assets located abroad and in the enforcement of foreign judgments in the United States. He has successfully navigated complex issues in state and federal courts and before international tribunals involving foreign service of process, international discovery, jurisdictional matters including forum non conveniens, asset tracing and attachment.
Eric takes a pragmatic approach to dispute resolution and works collaboratively with the firm’s clients to deliver results that align most-closely with overall business goals. He is well-versed in utilizing alternative dispute-resolution procedures, and has successfully handled complex international and domestic arbitrations and mediations. Eric is also an expert in utilizing cutting-edge e-discovery technology and techniques to cull critical electronically-stored evidence while minimizing cost and business disruption.
Before joining the firm, Eric served as general counsel for a music-related television production company in Hollywood and counseled entertainment-industry clients in employment-related disputes and in negotiations concerning licensing, branding and endorsements. During law school, Eric was a member of the dean's honor list, the Pro Bono Honors Society, and the recipient of an academic achievement award in entertainment law.
- California Western School of Law (JD)
- University of California - Davis (BA)
- Obtained favorable $20 million settlement in complex civil RICO case. Represented Taiwanese creditor in claims against 34 foreign and domestic defendants. Successfully defeated over 30 motions to dismiss, managed millions of pages of written discovery, including processing and analyzing hundreds of gigabytes of data, over 40 depositions on two continents and over 120 discovery disputes before two court-appointed special masters. Defeated summary judgment and in limine motions. Favorably settled case at commencement of trial.
- Obtained a favorable settlement of all claims – including fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty – brought by a company co-founder following forensic investigation which revealed the claimant had systematically erased critical evidence from company-owned hard drive and smart phone. The settlement followed the arbitrator’s granting, after a one-day hearing, the company and managers’ motion for severe evidence, issue, and monetary sanctions.
- Obtained favorable settlement of claims brought by European distributor of cosmetics against parent company, and successfully enforced terms of settlement in the Netherlands.
- Represented former San Diego Charger, Shawne Merriman, in numerous litigations.
- Represented Pony, Inc. in two separate trademark disputes against Ford Motor Company and Nike, obtaining favorable results in each case.
Recognition & Awards
- San Diego Business Journal: Next Top Business Leaders Under 40 (2019)
- San Diego Daily Transcript: Top 40 Under 40 (2019)
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star: Litigation (2015-2019)
- San Diego Business Journal: Best of the Bar (2015)
- San Diego Daily Transcript: Outstanding Young Attorney (2012)
- Member, Philanthropy Committee, Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego (2018)
- Volunteer Attorney, Domestic Violence Temporary Restraining Order Clinic (2011-2018)
- Co-Chair, Entertainment & Sports Law Section, San Diego County Bar Association (2012-2014)
- Advocate, National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, California Bar Association