Jim applies his decades of experience with mergers and acquisitions primarily to helping private equity companies buy and sell portfolio companies in the life sciences and medical device sectors. Medical technology companies also rely on him for general corporate matters and questions about governance. And he ably represents parties on both sides of the table in M&A and financing deals.
For over 25 years, Jim has represented both acquirers and targets in mergers and acquisitions and financing transactions in a wide range of industries, including banking, retail, publishing, energy, real estate, and software and internet technologies. For the past decade, a significant part of Jim’s practice has focused on the medical device industry, including acquisitions and sales on behalf of private equity investors and the day-to-day representation of various medical device companies. Jim has also represented a number of venture capital firms in their investments in medical device and technology companies.
In addition, Jim has considerable experience representing major financial institutions, as well as borrowers, in secured credit and other commercial finance transactions.
During law school, he was editor-in-chief of The Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics.
- Georgetown University (JD)
- Columbia University (BA)
Ongoing general representation of HealthpointCapital, LLC, a private equity firm focused on the musculoskeletal medical device and technology industry, in fund formation, acquisitions and dispositions and secured credit facilities and as general outside counsel to its portfolio companies.
Recently represented HealthpointCapital, LLC in acquisition of China Rehabilitation Limited, a Beijing-based physical therapy company.
Represented the following companies in sales of their businesses:
- OrthoSpace Limited, an Israeli company that developed and sells a device for treating rotator-cuff injuries, to Stryker Corporation;
- MicroDental Laboratories Inc., a chain of dental laboratories throughout North America, to Modern Dental Group;
- Blue Belt Technologies Inc., a developer of robotic surgical tools and technologies, to Smith & Nephew plc;
- BioHorizons Implant Systems Inc., a dental implant company, to Henry Schein Inc.; and
- Nexa Orthopedics Inc., a marketer devices for orthopedic extremities, to Tornier NV.
Ongoing representation of Johnson & Johnson (JJDC) in strategic investments in private offerings and PIPES of medical technology companies.
Shareholder counsel in the sale of FragranceNet.com to B&S Group SA.
Represented Sheaffer Pen Corporation, a Clarion Capital portfolio company, in its sale to BIC Corporation.
Company counsel in the initial public offering of Alphatec Spine Inc.
- Past secretary, New York County Lawyers' Association Professional Ethics Committee
- Past secretary, New York County Lawyers' Association Professional Discipline Committee
- Chair, Advisory Board, The Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics
- Chair, Georgetown Law Alumni Council