With over three decades of litigation and transactional experience, Jeff is widely recognized as one of the top environmental lawyers in the country. Clients seek him out to solve complex environmental law challenges facing the private and public sectors.
Some of the largest global companies rely on Jeff’s insights and strategic guidance. Clients praise him for his “substantive experience, local connections, and knowledge” and “innovative approach to negotiations.” They appreciate his commitment to solving any matter by “deeply understanding the big and small pictures, the internal and external politics, and the whole context.” He is ranked Band 1 by Chambers USA which says, “Jeff has a rare combination of skills and judgment that allows him to provide legal guidance that is politically astute and sensitive to all other external dynamics.”
Jeff is Chair of the firm’s Environmental Law Practice. He is also the Chairman of Boston Harbor Now and serves as a Trustee of the Massachusetts Environmental Trust. Jeff is a Fellow of the American College of Environmental Lawyers. He was a member of the MassDevelopment Board of Directors from 2013 and 2016 and he was also the Chair of The Nature Conservancy’s Trustee Council, having previously served as the Chair and Vice-Chair of The Nature Conservancy in Massachusetts.
Jeff advised the Massachusetts Legislature’s Committee on Natural Resources and Agriculture during the drafting of the 1998 Brownfield legislation that has spurred the beneficial redevelopment of underutilized former industrial sites across the Commonwealth.
- Cornell University (JD)
- Bates College (BA)
- Represents GE in administrative proceedings to select a remedy for the Housatonic Rest of River.
- Represented GE in the acquisition and permitting of its Headquarters on the Boston Waterfront.
- Advised Global Gaming Resort client regarding assessment and remediation of chemical manufacturing contamination and permitting of Brownfield redevelopment project.
- Represented a global biopharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with the acquisition of a portion of a former military base located in Devens, Massachusetts, for the construction of a large-scale, multiproduct bulk biologics manufacturing facility.
- Defended GE against allegations that GE arranged for the disposal of hazardous substances at the Fletcher's Paint Works and Storage Facility Superfund Site.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Environmental Law, Litigation (2006 – 2019)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts (Band 1) – Environment (2004 – 2019)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Environmental list (2004 – 2018)
- Acquisition International Legal Award, US Environmental Law Firm of the Year (2011 – 2016)
- Acquisition International Global Excellence Awards, Most Outstanding Environmental Lawyer – Boston (2018)
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Who’s Who in the World
- Who’s Who in America
- Guide to the World’s Leading Environmental Lawyers
- The International Who’s Who of Environmental Lawyers
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Fellow, American College of Environmental Lawyers
- Board Chair, Boston Harbor Now
- Trustee, Massachusetts Environmental Trust
- Member, Bureau of Waste Site Clean Up Advisory Committee, Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
- Former Member, Board of Directors, MassDevelopment
- Former Chair, Trustee Council, The Nature Conservancy (and former Chair, Massachusetts Chapter)
- Former Board Member, Boston Harbor Island Alliance (past Vice-Chair and Treasurer)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association