John is an experienced patent litigator with first chair trial and appellate experience before district courts and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. As a patent litigator having litigated a wide range of complex technologies, he has represented pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostic, industrial equipment, and telecommunication companies as well as universities — all resulting in favorable outcomes. The pharmaceutical litigation has included both small molecules (Hatch-Waxman) and large molecules (biologics)
John also has experience before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences (BPAI), including Inter Partes Review (IPR) and Post Grant Review (PGR) proceedings and interferences.
Prior to joining Mintz, John was a partner in an international law firm, where he focused on patent litigation, inter partes proceedings, due diligence, and client counseling.
- Catholic University (JD)
- Ohio State University (BS, Genetics)
- Represent a pharmaceutical company asserting patent infringement against multiple generic manufacturers in a Hatch-Waxman litigation involving the statin Livalo®. After a two-week trial, the district court found the patents valid and infringed. Mr. Bauer’s cross-examination was quoted in the favorable opinion. The district court's decision was recently affirmed by the Federal Circuit.
- Represent a pharmaceutical company in a PGR alleging a patent covering a method of treating cancer is invalid.
- Represent a pharmaceutical company in an IPR alleging a patent covering a therapeutic composition of iduronate-2-sulfatase is invalid.
- Represented an eyeglass manufacturer in an IPR and successfully invalidated two patents at issue directed to fluid-filled adjustable eyeglasses.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company asserting patent infringement against a generic manufacturer in a Hatch-Waxman litigation involving delayed-release prednisone, Rayos®. The case settled favorably.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company asserting patent infringement against another pharmaceutical company for its manufacture and sale of the anti-cancer agent, Istodax®. The case settled favorably for millions of dollars.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company against a charge of patent infringement alleging damages for hundreds of millions of dollars for its manufacture and sale of recombinantly produced EPO, Recormon®. After a successful trial, case settled favorably just before Federal Circuit oral argument.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company in a case involving alleged infringement of a recombinant tPA analog, Reteplase®. Obtained partial summary judgment of no infringement before the pharmaceutical company was purchased and forced by the FTC to sell its rights to Reteplase® to a third party.
- Defended a medical device company against a charge of patent infringement for its manufacture and sale of a self-expanding nitinol stent, Radius®. Case settled favorably after a jury trial, but before the jury rendered its verdict.
- Defended a manufacturer of multi-million dollar computer controlled plate glass coating equipment against a charge of patent infringement alleging damages for the use of said equipment. The case settled favorably.
- Defended a major university against a charge of patent infringement involving laser technology. District Court granted summary judgment of no infringement and the case settled favorably after a Federal Circuit decision.
- Represented a telecommunications company in a bet the company patent infringement case involving telecommunications and e-commerce. Initially defeated a motion for a preliminary injunction and subsequently won the case on a motion for summary judgment of no infringement.
- Defended a molecular diagnostics company against a charge of patent infringement relating to biological assays. Case settled favorably just prior to Markman hearing.
- Successfully represented a pharmaceutical company and university that sued the USPTO in district court to obtain the correct (and significantly longer) period of Patent Term Adjustment (PTA).
Recognition & Awards
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA)
- Member, Federal Circuit Bar Association