Jon Welner is a leading practitioner of environmental law in California. His broad and deep experience over twenty years enables him to solve regulatory problems for clients in virtually every area of environmental practice, including air, water, hazardous materials, hazardous waste, consumer products, traditional and renewable energy, and natural resources. Jon helps clients make sense of the “alphabet soup” of state and federal environmental regulatory agencies in order to achieve their business objectives. He regularly represents clients in court to defend their interests and achieve their goals.
Jon is the co-lead of the Firm’s California Land-Use Group. He assists clients to successfully navigate the review process to obtain entitlements for development. He has significant experience with coastal development and the permitting of industrial and energy facilities. Jon also represents local governments in high-profile land use matters.
Jon has further experience on development-related labor issues, including prevailing wage law and project labor agreements (PLAs). He has been recognized by California Lawyer as one of the preeminent prevailing wage practitioners in the state. Jon regularly represents developers and trade associations before the Department of Industrial Relations and has negotiated numerous PLAs.
Jon has a long track record of public service. He is an elected official, serving as Mayor of the Town of Tiburon, and previously served as a senior official at the California Natural Resources Agency. Jon has served for many years in leadership roles at both the California and San Francisco Bar Associations.
Avoiding Development Pitfalls in California
January 10, 2019 | Video | By Jon Welner
News & Press
A Time for Change
January 11, 2021
Mintz Levin Snags Ex-Jeffer Mangels Enviro Pro In Calif.
August 15, 2018
Events & Speaking
California Lawyers Association's 2022 Environmental Law Conference
Permitting the Future of Renewable Energy
CLA Environmental Law Conference
California Lawyers Association
Annual Meeting of the Real Property Law Section of the California Lawyers Association
The Wages of Subsidy: When are Prevailing Wages Required in Publicly Assisted Development Projects?
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Sea-Level Rise and the Law
San Francisco, CA
Recognition & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Included on the Northern California Super Lawyers list (2017-2021)
- Best Lawyers in America: Listed for Environmental Law; Litigation – Environmental; Natural Resources Law; Real Estate Law (2016 – 2023)
- John Gardner Fellow
- Harry S. Truman Scholar
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Mayor, Town of Tiburon, California
- President, Board of Directors, Osher Marin Jewish Community Center
- Executive Committee member and former Chair, Environmental Law Section, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Advisory Board member, Environmental Law Section, California Lawyers Association (formerly the California State Bar)
- Board of Directors, John Gardner Fellowship Association
- Advisory Board, Stanford-in-Government