Joshua never gives up. He believes there is always a way to ensure his clients get the right result.
Joshua is the Managing Member of the firm's Los Angeles office and serves on the firm's Policy Committee. The Daily Journal named Joshua to its list of the "Top 100 Lawyers in California."
Joshua applies the same dedication and passion to family, civic and community matters as he does to his clients. Joshua is married to Stephanie. They are raising their five children, Estella, Maximilian, Leonardo, Augustin and Vivienne. They are active volunteers in the community. As part of his commitment to the community, Joshua has served on numerous boards. He frequently publishes and lectures before national, and local community and student groups.
CLASS ACTION DEFENSE
Joshua has served as lead defense counsel on over 600 alleged nationwide class actions in state and federal courts across the country. He and his team have successfully defended many bet-the-company class actions that threaten a company's brand, reputation, business model and bottom line. A skilled negotiator, Joshua has a long record of securing dismissals and extremely favorable settlements for his clients.
Marketing and Advertising - Joshua has successfully defended claims on behalf of many companies involving allegedly false or deceptive products and services in virtually every industry. Joshua draws on his litigation experience to advise his clients on product development, risk assessments, creatively designing product labeling, and risk mitigation strategies to help them develop a strong competitive edge while minimizing the risk of legal attack.
Privacy - Joshua is a leader in successfully defending novel and complex privacy class actions. These claims often involve the alleged improper disclosure or use of private information and data. Joshua also regularly drafts and amends privacy policies, risk management protocols, and a broad range of data management issues, including managing privacy class action risks, children's and student privacy, privacy regulation of communications media, employee data, records management and responses to government surveillance requests.
Product Liability - Joshua has extensive experience defending economic defect class actions alleging that the failure to disclose alleged defects constitutes a violation of various consumer protection and warranty laws, including California’s Consumer Legal Remedies Act, Unfair Competition Law, Proposition 65 and Song Beverly Consumer Warranty Act.
Securities - Joshua represents a wide array of clients in securities litigation. He represents private equity funds, including hedge funds, broker-dealers, underwriters, placement agents and issuers in securities class actions, shareholder derivative actions and takeover defense litigation.
ADA Website Accessibility - Joshua regularly defends retailers, restaurants, financial services firms, and educational institutions against website accessibility claims brought under the ADA, Unruh Act, or state-specific consumer protection statutes across the US.
COMPLEX BUSINESS LITIGATION
In addition, Joshua has more than twenty years of experience representing clients in complex business litigation involving anti-trust, trademark, trade secrets and copyright claims across a variety of industries including professional services, financial services, construction, aviation, medical device, manufacturing, energy, and technology (hardware and software).
- New York University (LLM)
- University of California - Los Angeles (JD)
- San Diego State University (BA)
- Emanuel v. The Los Angeles Lakers Inc., 2:12-cv-09936 (CD CA) – Motion to dismiss Plaintiff’s class action claims that Defendant contacted Plaintiff without consent granted with prejudice (no discovery).
- Baird v. Sabre Inc., 2:13-cv-00999 (CD CA) – Motion to dismiss Plaintiff’s class action claims that Defendant contacted Plaintiff without consent granted with prejudice (no discovery).
- Williams v. Dr. Harold Katz, LLC, 3:20-cv-05188 (ND CA) - Motion for sanctions against Plaintiff's counsel granted; Plaintiff dismissed class action claims alleging false advertising.
- ConsumerInfo.com, Inc. v. Money Management International, Inc., 374 Fed. Appx. 696, 2010 WL 882868 (C.A. 9 March 11, 2010) - Reversed the trial court’s granting of the plaintiff’s motion for summary judgment involving client’s trademark.
- Dillon et al. v. Wingstop Restaurants Inc., 8:17-cv-02123 (CD CA) – Motion to dismiss Plaintiff’s class action claims that Defendant contacted Plaintiff without consent granted.
- Gruber v. Yelp Inc., San Francisco City & County Super. Ct. No. CGC-16-554784 – Motion for summary judgment of Plaintiff’s claims that Defendant unlawfully recorded conversations granted.
- Katz v. Metropolitan Transportation Authority, 1:17-cv-00472 (ED NY) – Motion to dismiss Plaintiff’s class action claims that Defendant disclosed Plaintiff’s allegedly private data without consent.
- Lifsey et al. v. Kraft Foods Global Inc., 2:07-cv-00041 (CD CA) – Motion to dismiss Plaintiff’s class action claims labeling misrepresented the actual ingredients in the product granted with prejudice.
- Moreno v. San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District, et al., 3:17-cv-02911 (ND CA) – Motion to dismiss Plaintiff’s class action claims that Defendant secretly tracked users granted.
- Quan v. Computer Sciences Corp., 623 F.3d 870 (9th Cir. 2010) – Motion for summary judgment affirmed as to Plaintiff’s class action claims involving securities investments by ERISA fiduciaries.
- Represented Western Union in a class action for unfair business practices. Successfully settled on an individual basis on the eve of filing a motion to dismiss without any discovery.
- Secured a summary judgement in the Southern District of New York on behalf of the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority as well as The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in a class action alleging the defendants had used a cashless toll system to charge individuals with violation fees without adequate notice.
- Successfully represented a software and private cloud services provider in a TCPA class action brought in the Northern District of California. Secured a settlement agreement with no admission of wrong doing and a settlement amount of $2 million, a small fraction of the estimated potential liability.
- Successfully defended Carnival Corporation in a TCPA class action, brought by plaintiffs alleging that the company had violated the TCPA through the use of automated telephone calls to individual consumers without their express consent.
- Representing a commerce-centric EV charging provider in a commercial dispute involving an underlying personal injury lawsuit and a related breach of contract and indemnity claim.
- Currently representing Yelp, Inc. in a TCPA class action filed in the Northern District of California alleging the company called the plaintiff multiple times, despite their number being listed on the National Do Not Call registry.
Recognition & Awards
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Los Angeles (2022)
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the Leaders of Influence: Litigators & Trial Lawyers in Los Angeles (2020)
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Daily Journal as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in California (2019)
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the Top Litigators & Trial Lawyers in Los Angeles (2019)
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the Most Influential Minority Attorneys/Top Minority Attorneys in Los Angeles/Leaders of Influence: Minority Attorneys (2018; 2021-2022)
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the Leaders in Law - Attorney Nominees (2017, 2020)
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States for Telecom & Broadcast: Regulatory (2017)
- Included on the Southern California Super Lawyers: Rising Star – Class Action/Mass Torts list (2011 – 2013)
- Earlier in his career, Joshua served as an adjunct professor of law, teaching classes on class actions in the United States for the Universidad Panamericana and the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM) in Mexico City.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Past President, Board of Directors, UCLA Law Alumni Association