Kathryn is a litigator who defends companies engaged in complex commercial and intellectual property litigation in a variety of industries. Her practice focuses on contract disputes, fraud cases, consumer class actions, product liability, trademark and copyright infringement, as well as other high-stakes litigation. She has particular expertise representing clients in consumer product class action litigation involving violations of California’s Consumer Legal Remedies Act, Unfair Competition Law and other deceptive, false and misleading advertising laws. Kathryn also has experience assisting corporate clients with internal investigations, white collar defense, real estate litigation, and licensing disputes.
Kathryn has been an integral part of several trial teams, responsible for pre-trial motions, presentation of exhibits, handling experts, and preparing company witnesses for testimony. Kathryn also counsels litigation clients on various business issues, with an emphasis on protecting clients’ brands, and manages disputes through alternative dispute resolution. Kathryn’s litigation expertise spans the entire case life cycle in both state and federal courts. From initial filing through trial and appeals, Kathryn’s client-driven approach allows her to achieve effective and efficient resolutions.
Kathryn has worked with the pro-bono legal teams at the University of San Diego’s Veterans Legal Clinic and Small Claims Clinic and as a legal intern for a Fortune 500 technology corporation. In law school, she was the San Diego Law Review comments editor and served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Eileen C. Moore, Associate Justice of the 4th District Court of Appeal for the State of California.
- University of San Diego (JD, cum laude)
- University of California - Berkeley (BA)
- Currently representing leading international medical device manufacturer in product liability and other general litigation throughout California.
- Currently representing local government entity in high-profile land use and breach of contract litigation.
- Obtained multiple favorable settlements in class actions involving statutory violations of the TCPA, both during early stages of the litigation as well as after successfully challenging class certification.
- Defended a French video game production studio in a breach of contract claim brought by a film production company seeking to recover the entire contract amount. Negotiated a successful resolution on behalf of client, thus avoiding a costly trial.
- Represented international multi-billion dollar diversified supplier to the foodservice industry in complex, multi-jurisdictional breach of contract case against a global supplier of food processing technology. Obtained favorable multimillion dollar settlement for our client.
- Represented numerous clients in disputes over copyright and trademark infringement issues, including DMCA take down notices, cease and desist demands, and enforcement.
- Served as a key team member for a large scale internal investigation on behalf of a special committee of the board of directors of a multi-billion dollar fast food restaurant chain involving a dispute with the company’s franchise owners regarding the company’s marketing and advertising strategy.
- Successfully excluded expert witness report under Rule 702 involving alleged damages in a false advertising case, which resulted in denial of class certification in the Central District of California.
- Chair, Litigation Interest Group, Intellectual Property Law Section of the California Lawyers Association
- Executive Committee Member, California New Lawyers Section of the California Lawyers Association
- Former Associate Member, J. Clifford Wallace Inn of Court
- San Diego County Bar Association
- San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association