Lara is a trusted advisor to clients ranging from traditional health care providers to disrupter digital health platforms as they navigate the practical and regulatory challenges of health care innovation. Her unique depth of knowledge across HIPAA privacy and other regulatory issues governing the use of data, state and federal fraud and abuse laws, business planning and operational issues has led colleagues to describe Lara as the “Swiss Army knife” of health care problem-solving.
Working at the intersection of health care and technology, Lara counsels telemedicine and other digital health clients on business plan strategy and implementation, state-specific telemedicine regulation, corporate practice of medicine, the scope of practice, fee splitting, anti-kickback, reimbursement, and other health care regulatory issues. Leveraging her prior in-house experience, she advises health care providers on the incorporation of telehealth and other technology infrastructures, which saw a vast uptick as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Lara advises health care providers, clinical trials companies, ancillary providers, technology start-ups, HMOs, insurance companies, and large technology companies on HIPAA and other health data privacy and security regulations, including developing and implementing HIPAA compliance programs. She has also led significant HIPAA breach investigations, advising clients on risk management and mitigation efforts.
Prior to joining Mintz, Lara was a partner at a boutique health care law firm, where she co-chaired the transactional/regulatory practice regulatory practice, guiding clients not only on risk avoidance but also on essential challenges of growth, including the transition to value-based care arrangements and the development of new health technology and digital health-related products and services. She also served as an in house attorney at two nonprofit health systems, Sutter Health and Community Medical Centers, where she advised extensively on Anti-Kickback, Stark Law, day-to-day operational risk and cost control management as well as creating, evaluating and implementing internal policies, compliance programs, and marketing and training initiatives.
Lara regularly speaks on challenges facing the health care industry, including HIPAA and other regulatory issues presented by the development and implementation of health care technologies.
She maintains an active pro bono practice, has been recognized as a Pro Bono Champion by the American Health Lawyers Association, and is a member of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
Lara is passionate for health and wellness and serves as the attorney chair for Mintz’s Wellness Committee. She is a member of the LA Tri Club, trains as a triathlete, runs several triathlons a year, and competes in the 70.3-mile Half Ironman.
Telehealth, Digital Health, and Health Information Technology
- Structured health technology business models to comply with health care laws and regulations, including strategic guidance on the provision of professional services across the United States and compliance with state corporate practice of medicine prohibitions.
- Represented several telehealth management service organizations in responding to California Medical Board information requests and investigations.
- Managed regulatory due diligence on for buyers and sellers in connection with a variety of telehealth and health technology transactions.
- Negotiated and provided regulatory counsel for wide range of digital health and health information technology agreements.
- Provided ongoing health care regulatory advice to a wide range of digital health and health information technology companies.
Hospitals, Health Systems, and Other Health Care Providers
- Assisted health care providers in developing and implementing new technologies. For example, assisted in navigating the regulatory issues posed by the development of a patient screening health app co-developed by a physician and a hospital.
- Regularly assisted a broad range of health care providers in monitoring and navigating California health care regulatory requirements and enforcement, including but not limited to corporate practice of medicine prohibitions and other provider licensing laws, Physician Ownership and Referral Act and other state fraud and abuse laws, state health information privacy and security laws such as the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act, Genetic Information Privacy Act, Confidentiality of Medical Information Act, Patient Access to Health Records Act, Lanterman Petris Short Act, and state breach reporting laws.
- Represented clients across the health care industry (health plans, publicly traded companies, nonprofit hospitals, private equity backed health care providers) in performing/responding to health care regulatory due diligence on a variety of health care providers and addressing regulatory issues and requirements that arose in the context of the transaction. Regularly assisted a wide range of clients in responding to breach investigations, health information privacy and security audits and requests for information. Represented a client in responding to a wide scale California County information privacy and security audit which involved a forensic system assessment and onsite inspection, twenty employee interviews, multiple sets of questionnaire responses, and the production of hundreds of documents.
- Developed a wide range of health care operational tools, for example toolkits for managing business associate relationships and managing patients who are refusing discharge or are otherwise difficult to place in an appropriate level of care.
- Regularly conducted a wide range of regulatory compliance audits and investigations (e.g. HIPAA, fraud, waste, and abuse) for a variety of health care providers and assisted with process improvement and risk mitigation strategies.
Life Sciences and Medical Devices
- Assisted a variety of clients with licensing requirements related to device distribution, for example negotiated settlement of disciplinary action with the California Board of Pharmacy for a medical device wholesaler and developed a 50-state, post-acquisition regulatory filing plan for a large diagnostics company.
- Evaluated medical device and biotechnology company marketing campaigns for compliance with the federal Anti-Kickback Statute and other fraud and abuse laws.
- Evaluated FDA regulatory implications for a variety of cellular and tissue based products and analyzed proposed product marketing materials for FDA and FTC regulatory implications.
- Regularly advised on health information privacy and security law compliance issues. For example, advised health plans regarding the collection, use, and sharing of data for product development and marketing initiatives.
- Advised California health plans regarding issues related to medical practice, for example California requirements for prescribing birth control pills using telehealth and California health care provider licensing and supervision requirements relevant to the quality assurance program.
- Advised health plans regarding health care regulatory considerations related to vertical integration efforts, including transactional regulatory due diligence, fraud and abuse compliance advise, and risk management.
Federal Trade Commission’s GoodRx Settlement: Not Just a $1.5 Million Penalty
March 8, 2023 | Blog | By Lara Compton, Pat Ouellette
New York Proposes Regulatory Review and Approval of Material Health Care Entity Transactions
March 1, 2023 | Blog | By Jean D. Krebs, Pamela Polevoy, Lara Compton
Mintz Health Law: What We Are Grateful For
January 11, 2023 | Podcast | By Bridgette Keller
OCR Warns Providers Against Disclosing PHI on Social Media Platforms in Response to Negative Reviews in Settlement with Dental Practice
December 22, 2022 | Blog | By Lara Compton, Kathryn Edgerton, Pat Ouellette
California Legislative Update Part II: Upcoming Changes for Health Facilities
December 20, 2022 | Blog | By Lara Compton, Xavier Hardy
Is Your Website Collecting PHI Under OCR's New Tracking Technologies Bulletin?
December 7, 2022 | Blog | By Dianne Bourque, Lara Compton, Kathryn Edgerton, Cassandra Paolillo, Kate Stewart
California Legislative Update Part I: New Requirements for Licensed Health Care Professionals
November 11, 2022 | Blog | By Kathryn Edgerton, Lara Compton
Advance Regulatory Review of California Health Care Transactions by the New Office of Health Care Affordability to Begin in 2024
November 9, 2022 | Blog | By Lara Compton, Kathryn Edgerton, Daria Niewenhous
California Passes New Law Requiring Physicians and their Employers to Notify Patients about the Open Payments Database
October 11, 2022 | Blog | By Lara Compton, Rachel Yount
California Attorney General Probes Bias in Health Care Algorithms
September 12, 2022 | Blog | By Lara Compton, Jane Haviland
News & Press
Events & Speaking
New Technology: Considerations for Evaluation, Development, and Implementation?
Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute 2023
Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld®
The Evolving Health Care Privacy Landscape
Women Business Leaders of the U.S. Health Care Industry Foundation (WBL) Event
Telehealth Risk Management
Health Law Review 2021 Virtual Fall Symposium
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
Cultivating Well-Being and Success
Shutters on the Beach, Santa Monica, CA
Health Care Leadership Panel & Awards
Los Angeles Business Journal
Legal, Ethical, and Practical Issues for Vaccine Credentials and Verification for Workplaces
Provider Compliance: Information Blocking and Patient Access
California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Health Care Law (2023)
- Los Angeles Business Journal Women's Leadership Awards Nominees (2022)
- Named a Business of Law Visionary in the Los Angeles Times B2B Publishing's Business of Law: Trends, Updates, Visionaries magazine (2022)
- Los Angeles Business Journal Leaders of Influence: Thriving in Their 40s (2022)
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the Trusted Advisors of the Year for the Health Care Leadership and Panel Awards - Attorney Nominees (2021); Finalist (2022)
- Los Angeles Business Journal: Leaders in Law - Firm Attorney Nominees (2021)
- American Health Lawyers Association: Pro Bono Champion (2014)
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Vice Chair, LACBA-LACMA Committee on Biomedical Ethics