Megan is a prominent corporate and securities attorney who deftly steers public companies through capital-raising transactions, SEC reporting obligations, and mergers and acquisitions. She applies knowledge she gained during an earlier in-house role with a laboratory and analytical instrument maker to ably advise life sciences and other clients on corporate governance and SEC compliance matters.
Megan is a member of the Firm's Policy Committee and Co-chair of the Securities & Capital Markets Practice Group. She concentrates her practice on providing counsel to public companies with respect to public and private equity financings, merger and acquisition transactions, and compliance and disclosure obligations under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
Megan frequently advises clients on corporate governance matters, including compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002. She also has extensive experience with tender offers, exchange offers, and going-private transactions.
Megan frequently speaks at conferences on securities offerings, corporate governance, and compliance matters, including at Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) panels and industry meetings.
Before joining the firm, Megan served as associate general counsel for Thermo Electron Corporation, where she was responsible for securities offerings and compliance for the corporation and its 23 publicly traded subsidiaries.
- Boston College (JD)
- Wellesley College (BA)
Merger & Acquisition Transactions
- Represented OvaScience in its merger with Millendo Therapeutics, Inc.
- Represented Albireo Pharma, Inc. in its merger with Biodel Inc.
- Represented ChyronHego Corporation in its $120 million acquisition by Vector Capital Partners
- Represented Chyron Corporation in its acquisition of Hego Aktiebolag
- Represented Caliper Life Sciences, Inc. in its $600 million acquisition by PerkinElmer Corporation
- Represented Coley Pharmaceutical Group, Inc. in its $164 million acquisition by Pfizer Inc.
- Represented Targacept, Inc. in its merger with Catalyst Biosciences, Inc.
- Represented RegenMedTX, LLC in its acquisition by a private equity firm
- Represented EPIRUS Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. in its acquisition of Bioceros Holding B.V.
- Represented Bank of America – Merrill Lynch in a $138 million follow-on offering by Puma Biotechnology, Inc.
- Represented OvaScience, Inc. in a $50 million follow-on offering
- Represented OXiGENE, Inc. in multiple follow-on offerings
- Represented MELA Sciences, Inc. in a $10 million follow-on offering
- Represented NeuroMetrix, Inc. in multiple follow-on offerings
- Represented Coley Pharmaceutical Group in its $102.6 million initial public offering
- Represented Targacept, Inc. in its $40.7 million initial public offering
- Represent H.C. Wainwright & Co., LLC in multiple follow-on offerings by biotechnology issuers
Recognition & Awards
- Casa Myrna: Recipient of Norman Knight Charitable Foundation Award (2014)
- Women’s Business Boston: Top 10 Corporate Lawyers (2010)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly: Top Women of Law (2010)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Member, Boston Bar Association Council
- Corporate Board Committee, The Boston Club
- Life Sciences Council, Springboard Enterprises
- Board of Directors, Wellesley College Business Leadership Council
- Board of Directors, Greater Boston Legal Services
- Curriculum Committee, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE)
- Board of Directors, Pine Street Inn, a nonprofit organization that is New England’s largest resource for homeless men and women
- Co-chair, Boston Bar Foundation John & Abigail Adams Benefit (2016)
- Past Chair, Board of Directors, Casa Myrna, a nonprofit organization located in Boston that is working to end domestic violence in the lives of women and children
- Past Co-chair, Boston Bar Association Business Transactions Section and Securities Law Committee
January 29, 2019|Advisory
News & Press
January 29, 2019 | Advisory | By Anne Bruno, Megan Gates
January 8, 2019 | Video | By Megan Gates
SEC Amends Definition of “Smaller Reporting Companies” (SRCs) to Increase the Number of Companies that Qualify for Scaled Disclosures
August 14, 2018 | Advisory | By Megan Gates