Nicholas is a trial lawyer focusing on trade secret litigation who combines practical advice with deep experience to deliver results for clients. Nicholas has long experience representing clients in federal and state court, and at the International Trade Commission, where his practice covers all aspects of IP litigation with a focus on cases concerning allegations of trade secret misappropriation. Nicholas has delivered results for clients in a variety of technology areas, including network devices, semiconductors, consumer electronics, medical devices, and manufacturing devices. Mindful of the business realities of litigation, Nicholas actively fights for clients toward successful results in bet-the-company litigation while working simultaneously to counsel clients toward efficient and effective business results in pre-suit dispute resolution efforts. Nicholas’ practice also encompasses advising on the proactive protection and management of trade secret assets – often amongst a company’s most valuable assets.
Nicholas brings robust courtroom experience to his trade secret litigation practice. Aside from his trial work at Mintz, while a Special Assistant District Attorney in the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office, Nicholas prosecuted over 150 criminal matters, trying many in jury and bench trials. Nicholas also maintains an active pro bono practice where he has represented numerous asylum seekers, among other matters, and has appeared before both trial and appellate courts.
Prior to joining Mintz, Nick worked for Hon. Ralph D. Gants, Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, and Hon. Patti B. Saris, Chief Judge of the US District Court, District of Massachusetts. Nicholas also played soccer professionally before going to law school.
Recent Trade Secret Litigation and Related Matters
- Successfully defended pharmaceutical start-up company facing claims of trade secret misappropriation related to glycol-immunology used to treat various human disorders associated with cancer and inflammation.
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief against Chinese entities accused of misappropriating trade secrets related to medical X-ray devices on behalf of a multi-national medical devices company.
- Successfully represented company in the business of producing hi-frequency and hi-power chips concerning allegations of trade secret misappropriation against former joint development partner.
- Successfully defended start-up medical device company against claims of trade secret misappropriation by larger multi-national medical device company operating in same technology space.
- Successfully obtained partial summary judgment on behalf of multi-national business intelligence company against defendants’ counterclaims in matter where client alleged trade secret misappropriation against former employees and a competing firm they established.
- Represent business consulting firm in claims for unlawful use of proprietary and confidential information utilized improperly by former customer of client.
- Successfully advised client in the microchip development space concerning allegations of trade secret misappropriation against a former employee toward a pre-suit resolution of the dispute that avoided the need for litigation.
- Successfully advised client that provides human resources technology solutions concerning the misappropriation of trade secret information by a former employee toward a pre-suit resolution of the dispute that avoided the need for litigation.
- Successfully advised client in the business of providing temporary staffing solutions toward a resolution of allegations of trade secret misappropriation by multiple former employees shortly following the filing of suit against former employees.
- Successfully advised client in the business of cellular communications technology in the defense of allegations of trade secret misappropriation.
- Successfully advised client in the business of waste management technology in responding to demand correspondence alleging trade secret misappropriation towards avoidance of litigation.
- Advised life sciences client in the implementation of reasonable measures to protect trade secret assets.
Recent Patent Litigation
- Successfully represent plaintiff in a case alleging infringement of patents on the synthesis of quantum dots, and the use of quantum dot film resins in televisions and other electronic display devices, obtaining a $150,000,000 million settlement.
- Successfully represented defendant in patent litigation alleging infringement of patents concerning self-righting aeronautical vehicles.
- Represented Complainant in an ITC investigation adverse to a number of consumer electronics companies alleging infringement of patents related to the operation of smartphones.
February 1, 2024 | Blog | By Adam Samansky, Peter Cuomo, Nicholas Armington, Stephen Chen
I Spy a Trade Secret: Conducting Proper Trade Secret Asset Management Review to Avoid Sufficiency Failure in Litigation
April 5, 2023 | Blog | By Nicholas Armington, Michael Renaud, Jonathan Engler
October 10, 2022 | Blog | By Oliver Ennis, Nicholas Armington, Adam Samansky
March 10, 2022 | Blog | By Adam Samansky, Michael McNamara, Nicholas Armington, Oliver Ennis
Trade Secret Misappropriation Not Sufficiently Plead Where Defendant Possessed but did Not Threaten to Disclose Trade Secret Information in Southern District of New York Case
January 25, 2022 | Blog | By Adam Samansky, Nicholas Armington
January 24, 2022 | Article
Federal Circuit Reiterates Requirement under § 287 that Alleged Infringers have Notice of Specific Alleged Infringement
September 9, 2021 | Blog | By Peter Cuomo, Adam Samansky, Nicholas Armington
Fast Track to Justice for Trade Secret Theft at the ITC: New Senate Bill Would Expand ITC Authority to Curtail Trade Secret Theft by Foreign Governments
June 23, 2021 | Blog | By Michael Renaud, Rich Gervase, Nicholas Armington
September 15, 2020 | Blog | By Adam Samansky, Nicholas Armington
September 10, 2020 | Blog | By Adam Samansky, Nicholas Armington
News & Press
November 21, 2023
October 2, 2023
I Spy a Trade Secret: Conducting Proper Trade Secret Asset Management Review To Avoid Sufficiency Failure In Litigation
July 12, 2023
October 18, 2022
October 25, 2016
Events & Speaking
Trade Secret Threat Looms Due to Economic Downturn: Protecting and enforcing trade secrets in the COVID era
View the Webinar Recording
View the Webinar Recording
Berkeley Research Group, 1800 M Street NW, 2nd Floor, Washington, DC
The Knowledge Group
Boston Patent Law Association
Mintz Levin One Financial Center Boston, MA
Recognition & Awards
Listed in Boston Magazine’s Top Lawyers (2023)
- Member, Sedona Conference Working Group 12 for Trade Secrets