Rob is an attorney experienced in patent litigation and licensing. He practices primarily before the International Trade Commission and various federal District Courts, both asserting patents and defending against allegations of infringement. One major aspect of his practice involves joining parties wishing to sell or monetize patents with those interested in investing in monetization programs.
A trained engineer, Rob assists in the evaluation of patent portfolios, identification of patents for assertion, negotiation of terms between these parties, and all aspects of the ensuing assertion programs. Rob has a particular interest in standard-setting organizations and has published several articles on “fair, reasonable, and nondiscriminatory” (FRAND) licensing terms, which may encumber patents that are essential to such organization’s standards.
In addition, Rob has a background in complex litigation, products liability, and criminal and appellate law. As a member of the Massachusetts Committee for Public Counsel Services, Post-Conviction Relief Panel, he represents indigent defendants on appeal. After law school, he clerked for Hon. Fernande Duffly, then of the Massachusetts Appeals Court. He has represented Fortune 500 companies in class actions, toxic torts, and products liability litigation. Rob also served as staff attorney at a leading public health think tank in Boston. He has been an adjunct faculty at New England Law Boston and a course instructor at Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.
- Northeastern University (JD)
- University of Massachusetts - Amherst (BS, Computer Systems Engineering, Mathematics, cum laude)
Recognition & Awards
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star – Intellectual Property Litigation list (2013 – 2017)
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Co-chairperson, Northeastern University School of Law Boston Regional Alumni Chapter
- Board, Law Section, American Public Health Association
- Faculty, Public Health Law, New England Law Boston (2013)
- Faculty, Occupational Safety and Health Laws and Compliance, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (2010 – 2012)