- Represented several high-profile sports individuals in matters relating to executive employment contracts, immigration, intellectual property and trademark disputes, licensing, and government inquiries and investigations.
- Brought claims on behalf of major league baseball team related to breach of contract and fiduciary duty allegations against vendor.
- Represent former NFL player Shawn Merriman in matters relating to his personal brand, Lights Out.
- Successfully represented adidas America Inc. in arguing against certification of a class action suit alleging a defect in one of the company’s popular running shoes.
- Successfully represented MMA fighter Rampage Jackson in a lawsuit with his former manager.
- Represented The Los Angeles Lakers in a TCPA class action. Motion to dismiss granted with prejudice.
- Represented a television network in a copyright infringement case regarding a reality television show.
- Representing a former professional athlete in a dispute with his former agent. This dispute involves breach of contract and fiduciary duty, and improper withholding of commission from players contract payments.
- Served as bond and tax counsel on financings for various stadiums and arenas, including Yankee Stadium, Citi Field (NY Mets), and Barclays Arena (Nets/Islanders).
- Represented a professional basketball player in a California Law Suit that resulted in his ex-girlfriend being unable to leverage his brand for purposes of a reality television show.
- Provided employment advice and counselling to the Big Ten Conference on key employment and executive compensation issues for its senior staff.
- Defended a false advertising class action against a nationwide fitness organization.
- Represented sports agencies and professional athletes in fee dispute arbitrations AAA, JAMS, Major League Baseball Player's Association and National Basketball Player's Association.
- Represent a global casino gaming (including sports betting) enterprise and multiple senior executives in connection with gaming license suitability issues.
- Counseled and advised numerous amateur track and field athletes on whether to become professionals and negotiated ground breaking endorsement agreements with apparel companies.
- Represented a major league professional sports team in arbitration over appropriate trade disclosures; obtained a seven-figure recovery.
- Represented the owner of an MLB team in a US Department of Justice inquiry into the conduct of a former MLB player. The international matter spanned two jurisdictions and involved the Department of Justice Office of International Affairs.
- Defended a high profile actress in an Illinois law suit brought by the ex-wife of her husband, a professional basketball player, alleging that she had engaged in inappropriate conduct in the presence of her husband’s children.
- Advised and counseled NBA league bylaws and polices as well as involvement in intra-team disputes and matters involving trades and health disclosures.
- Assist Fantasy Sports, LLC in managing their growing IP portfolio.
- Representing professional surfer Kelly Slater and his entities the Kelly Slater Wave Co., Outerknown, and Firewire Surfboards in IP and trademark matters.
- Serving as outside general counsel to professional sports franchises in the National Basketball Association (NBA) and National Hockey League (NHL).
- Represented a professional basketball player in a suit against a television production company for exploiting his trademark and brand.
- Advised a number of clients on all aspects of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) compliance, including enforcement, investigations, infractions, and appeals. Negotiated the reduction of various NCAA penalties assessed to universities, athletics personnel, and student-athletes.
- Defended a professional basketball team in the NBA against multiple privacy claims.
- Served as lead trial counsel for an elite professional athlete and US Olympian in a breach of contract arbitration.
- Represented Michelle “Bombshell” McGee in a contract dispute.
- Represented a professional ice hockey team in connection with a contract dispute with a senior executive and in employment matters.
- Represented a professional basketball player in a contractual dispute regarding multiple endorsements.
- Represent a professional basketball team in connection with compliance advice relating to league bylaws and matters relating to the FLSA.
- Negotiated a sponsorship contract with professional surfer Craig Anderson on behalf of Haydenshapes Surfboards.
- Served as lead counsel for a golf club manufacturer in multiple patent infringement suits, alleging infringement of club design and utility patents. Successfully halted numerous infringing products from sale or import in the United States.
- Advised a college's athletic program in regard to violations involving the inspector general's office of the government.
- Settled a patent infringement case for Suicide Fantasy Sports against ESPN Inc.
- Advised a private university on a number of employment matters including compliance with Title IX, regulations applicable to athletics aid and participation, and NCAA bylaws and policies.
- Advised clients primarily in the surf, snow, skate, and other action sports industries.
- Represented a sports apparel company in a merger with another sports lifestyle brand.
- Represented a National Football League sports team in a suit brought by a disgruntled fan alleging First Amendment right to exhibit certain inflammatory signs at football games.
- Advised a university on certain terms for the contract of its then-head football coach, who was at the time subject to high recruitment elsewhere due to the team’s top 5 national ranking.
- Advised a major league professional sports team to successfully overcome an insurance carrier's objection to providing coverage under the team policy.
- Advised athletic apparel and equipment manufacturers in matters relating to consumer product safety, false advertising, intellectual property litigation, and licensing and collaboration disputes.
- Served as co-bond counsel to the Brooklyn Arena Local Development Corporation in the refinancing of certain bonds issued for the construction of the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY. The Barclays Center is home to the Brooklyn Nets and New York Islanders and serves as a venue for other entertainment, cultural, sporting and civic events.
- Represented MOSEX, a NYC museum, in a nationwide ADA class action. Successfully negotiated a favorable settlement where blind plaintiff claimed defendant’s website was inaccessible based on lack of JAWS screen reader compatibility.
- Represented Life Time, Inc., a chain of luxury athletic resort health clubs, in a class action alleging violations of ADA. Succeeded in having plaintiff withdraw the case (voluntary dismissal with prejudice) based on website’s established compliance with the WCAG 2.0 accessibility standard.
- Represented Life Time, Inc., a chain of luxury athletic resort health clubs, in a class action alleging violations of ADA. A motion to dismiss was filed based on lack of subject matter jurisdiction on that grounds that plaintiff lacks standing or his claims are moot because defendant’s website is already in substantial compliance with the ADA.
- Represented Leisure Properties, LLC d/b/a Crownline Boats, a company which designs and produces boats, in a class action alleging ADA violations. Achieved extremely favorable settlement in class action where blind plaintiff claimed defendant’s website was inaccessible based on lack of JAWS screen reader compatibility.
- Represented 24 Hour Fitness in a TCPA class action matter in CA. Matter was resolved quickly and efficiently via favorable settlement agreement.
Mintz served as co-bond counsel for the Brooklyn Arena Local Development Corporation in connection with the construction financing and refinancing of the Barclays Center. Mintz
Public Finance and Tax attorneys worked on the “Payments in Lieu of Taxes” (PILOT) bond issues.
Public Finance and Tax attorneys worked on the “Payments in Lieu of Taxes” (PILOT) bond issues.
Mintz advised the Board of the Big Ten Conference on employment and executive compensation issues at the commissioner level. The conference currently consists of fourteen nationally acclaimed academic institutions.
Mintz successfully represented NBC Universal and Comcast when Boston affiliate WHDH sued to prevent them from launching a new, directly owned station. All breach of contract and monopolization claims were dismissed.
Mintz represented the ad hoc committee in casino giant Caesars Entertainment Corp.'s Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Mintz’s early summary judgment filing helped its clients settle with Caesars. ML Strategies helped to lobby Congress to oppose Caesars's proposed amendments to the Trust Indenture Act.
Mintz defended the Cleveland Cavaliers in a Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) class action lawsuit filed in the Northern District of California. Mintz secured an extremely favorable settlement based on evidence that the filer is a serial plaintiff.
Mintz represented fantasy sports figures in the DraftKings / FanDuel federal and multistate regulatory controversy concerning the legality of fantasy sports and alleged misuse of insider information and unfair or deceptive practices. No charges were brought against the Mintz clients.
Mintz represented Kelly Slater Wave Co. when the wave pool company was acquired by World Surf League Holdings. Corporate attorneys lead the deal, assisted by attorneys in the patent and trademark, Antitrust, and Tax practices. Mintz currently represents Kelly Slater on all of its IP matters.
Mintz obtained partial summary judgment on First Amendment grounds for global fitness and training company CrossFit, Inc. CrossFit brought Lanham Act false advertising claims based on a study published by the National Strength and Conditioning Association that contained false CrossFit injury data.
Mintz represents former NFL star Shawne Merriman with trademark issues concerning his Lights Out brand, including in matters involving major sports apparel brands. Mintz has brought trademark infringement, false endorsement, and unfair competition suits and successfully settled trademark cases.
Mintz has advised over 200 academic institutions on employment matters and executive compensation. Mintz attorneys counsel colleges on Title IX compliance, employment contracts, and policies for athletics personnel and conduct internal investigations on allegations of NCAA violations or matters involving inquiries from federal agencies.
Mintz helps the world’s #1 roller coaster operator Cedar Fair interact respectfully with fan website creators while controlling the use of its IP. Mintz helps the amusement park company protect its trademarks, copyrights, and domain names without dampening fans’ enthusiasm.
Mintz helped an American professional basketball player obtain an injunction against a reality television star who used social media to make disparaging remarks against the basketball player.
Mintz represented an American pro basketball player in his case against a TV production company and others for using his trademark and brand without consent and a third party's contract suit against the player. Mintz’s client prevailed on summary judgment, and the adversary’s appeal was denied.
Mintz is advising a National Hockey League (NHL) team on deal structures to finance the construction of a proposed new arena that would involve about $400 million in public funding. Mintz counsels the organization on public finance / bond transactions, insurance law, and tribal law.
Mintz handles trademark, copyright, and domain name matters, including those involving the USPTO, TTAB, and counterfeit materials for Cedar Fair, which owns amusement parks in the United States and Canada.
Mintz achieved a legal victory for longtime client Shari Redstone in a contentious legal battle concerning media company Viacom, Inc.’s board and corporate governance. The global settlement dismissed all suits against Ms. Redstone and her father Sumner and altered the Viacom board.
When construction and design defects at Boston’s Emerson Colonial Theatre delayed the world premiere of Moulin Rouge! The Musical, Mintz filed litigation on behalf of theater operator Ambassador Theatre Group and worked with its general counsel to successfully resolve the matter through mediation.
Mintz represents an American thoroughbred horse racing facility on insurance and risk management issues related to its racing, poker, golf, and dining offerings. Mintz also advised the client on insurance and regulatory issues related to its acquisition of another racing facility.
Mintz advised an FBS institution on employment matters, including compliance with Title IX, regulations applicable to athletics aid and participation, and NCAA bylaws and policies. The university used Mintz’s guidance to update its Title IX training and compliance policies.
Mintz and ML Strategies helped Wynn MA, LLC secure a license for a $2+ billion resort & casino project in Everett, Massachusetts. The Mintz team worked through the legislative process and helped Wynn obtain state and local permits and secure a Massachusetts Gaming Commission license.