Alain’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including contract disputes, business litigation, and government investigations, as well as institutional class action recovery and product liability. He is an active member of the firm’s Sports & Entertainment practice, where he counsels clients in personal business, branding and licensing, league compliance, investigations, and litigation. He is also an active member of the firm’s interdisciplinary working group focused on the legal and policy implications of emerging artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics technologies. Alain represents clients across numerous industries including, sports & entertainment, financial services, retail and consumer products, healthcare and technology and software. In addition, Alain maintains an active pro bono practice, in which he counsels and represents clients in matters related to domestic and sexual violence, immigration, and civil appeals.
Alain currently serves on the Board of Trustees for Crossroads, a youth empowerment organization focused on unlocking the potential of youth leaders in underserved communities by developing their leadership skills, college and career readiness, commitment to community action, and social responsibility. He has also served on the Action for Boston Community Development (ABCD) Friends Committee since 2017.
At Mintz, Alain serves as the local Boston Chair of MIATTY, the firm’s minority attorney affinity group, and serves on the group’s steering committee. He also chairs the MIATTY Subcommittee on Diversity Recruiting, and serves on Mintz’s Litigation hiring committee.
During law school, Alain served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Gregory C. Flynn of the Waltham District Court and the District Court Appellate Division. In addition, he was a teaching assistant for a first-year criminal law course, and a summer law clerk at Free Speech For People, a legal advocacy organization dedicated to campaign finance reform. During his final year of law school, he became certified as a mediator in accordance with Massachusetts state law and Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts requirements.
Before he attended law school, Alain held several positions at Bowdoin College, his alma mater, including alumni fund associate in the school’s annual giving office. He also served as a legislative intern for US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY).
- Boston College (JD, cum laude)
- Bowdoin College (BA, cum laude)
- Alongside co-chair of firm’s Sports and Entertainment Practice, successfully represented multiple high-profile American athletes in resolving pre-litigation disputes.
- Counsels professional American athletes in connection with personal branding and licensing.
- Drafted successful dispositive motion on behalf of a Massachusetts-based pharmaceutical company in a multi-million dollar product liability dispute.
- Counseled major global technology company ahead of its rollout of an artificial intelligence-enabled consumer product.
- Served as lead junior associate on trial team that successfully secured a seven-figure award before the American Arbitration Association.
- Representing a Massachusetts-based company and its former board of directors in a litigation against a former shareholder and board member.
- Served as a key member of team that successfully represented a California-based biotechnology company in resolving a government investigation.
- Has successfully represented multiple victims of domestic violence at 209A restraining order extension hearings, including a pregnant victim who sought to prevent her abuser from being present at the birth of their child.
- Representing an asylum applicant seeking refuge pursuant to the Convention Against Torture.
Recognition & Awards
- The National Black Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 Black Lawyers in Massachusetts (2019)
- Board Member, Crossroads Massachusetts (2019- present)
- Friends Committee Member, Action for Boston Community Development (ABCD) (2017 – present)
- Bowdoin Regional Admissions Volunteer Organization Member, Bowdoin College Admissions Office (2014 – present)
- Alumni Fund Class Agent, Bowdoin College Office of Annual Giving (2012 – present)
- Creole (Haitian)