Andy is Co-chair of the firm’s Appellate Practice. He focuses his practice on appeals and complex motions, and he has represented corporate and individual clients in matters as diverse as white-collar criminal prosecutions, environmental enforcement actions, trade secret and other employment litigation, antitrust lawsuits, and internal and external investigations by agencies of both state and federal governments as well as in a wide range of business and commercial disputes.
He has participated in the firm’s pro bono efforts, representing indigent clients in criminal appeals and in immigration proceedings at both the administrative and appellate levels, and is a member of the team of Mintz lawyers that has assisted in legal efforts supporting the reconstruction of Mississippi’s Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina.
In addition to his practice at Mintz, Andy was staff counsel to the US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit from 1990 to 1993, where he drafted more than 100 per curiam opinions of the court, and worked as in-house litigation counsel to a major financial services firm in Boston from 1999 to 2000.
He has taught both Legal Research and Writing (at Boston University School of Law) and Law and Ethics of Lawyering (at New England School of Law).
Before law school, Andy worked in New York as a magazine editor.
- Boston University School of Law (JD)
- State University of New York - Buffalo (BA)
- Obtained a decision by the Connecticut Supreme Court that reversed an injunction and a seven-figure judgment against our client on trade secret and unfair competition claims.
- Represented the appellant in this case concerning tax liabilities relating to escrow release contracts arising out of the settlements of class action tobacco litigation.
- Represented a Canadian insurance company in its reinsurance contract dispute with an American insurance company. The US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit affirmed the District of Massachusetts’s award of summary judgment to our client.
Recognition & Awards
- Adams Pro Bono Publico Award, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (2011)
- Member, First Circuit Criminal Justice Act Panel