Courtney represents large corporations, private equity firms, celebrities, and others in high-stakes, complex civil litigation matters. She focuses her practice on complex commercial transactions, partnership disputes, securities matters, entertainment disputes, and intellectual property litigation.
Prior to joining Mintz, Courtney was a partner at a national law firm based in New York, where she established an exceptionally strong, 20-year track record — obtaining highly favorable settlements for a diverse and substantial portfolio of clients.
Dynamic and assertive, Courtney regularly delivers creative litigation strategies in high-stakes and sensitive litigation matters. She is recognized for her ability to take over as lead litigator, reframing cases that have proceeded far down a less than optimal path. Her clients have included Tory Burch LLC, Eden Rock Group, Fox Paine & Company, Freestream Aircraft (Bermuda) Limited, Zurich Financial Services Group, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sony Music Entertainment, Ron Howard, and John Lurie, among many others.
Courtney is regularly named one of the top lawyers by New York Metro Super Lawyers. She serves as District Leader for New York’s Ninth Judicial District and is a member of the Executive Committee of the New York Bar Association’s Commercial and Federal Litigation Section.
Before she joined her previous firm as an associate in 2001, Courtney clerked for the Honorable Joseph M. McLaughlin, U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, and for the Honorable William C. Conner, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York.
- Representing award-winning, international video editing company, Stitch Editing, in a trademark infringement action against ByteDance and TikTok for its use of our client’s uncontestable “Stitch” trademark as the name for the platform’s editing feature, with potentially record-setting damages at stake
- Successfully obtained judgment after trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, granting Jet Experts, LLC specific performance and directing owner of Bombardier Challenger 300 to close on sale
- Obtained unanimous jury verdict in favor of private equity company, Fox Paine & Company, and its founder against insurance broker for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, and fraud and successfully resolved its insurance coverage action against its primary insurer before trial
- Represents EpicGenetics, the creator of the first ever rule-out test for fibromyalgia, and its founder, Dr. Bruce Gillis, who is responsible for numerous, critical medical and scientific breakthroughs in connection with their current and future business endeavors
- Represented investment funds and their managing member in connection with losses resulting from the novel, aircraft-escrow-deposit Wright Brothers/Machado Ponzi scheme, providing crisis management, asset recovery, IP exploitation, and litigation services
- Represented homebuyers and sellers in a successfully certified class action against a top New York residential real estate brokerage firm over unlawful dual-agency transactions
- Successfully litigated claims on behalf of Eden Rock against auditors of feeder fund invested in Petters Ponzi scheme based, in part, on law established from her prior litigation of a Bahamian Ponzi scheme
- Represented professional athletes, models, performers and personal trainers in negotiation of ambassador agreements with major international retailer
- Represented high-tech medical management firm in connection with trade secret dispute with former joint venture partner
- Part of a team advising numerous Theia Group investors and creditors in connection the placing of the Theia Group companies into receivership
News & Press
December 21, 2020
Recognition & Awards
- Included on Crain's New York Business: Notable Women in Law list (2021)
- New York-Metro Super Lawyers (2013, 2015 – 2019)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Executive Committee, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Westchester Women’s Bar Association