Deirdre is a seasoned litigator who focuses her practice on representing insurers, reinsurers, and captive insurers in a broad spectrum of coverage disputes and handling domestic and international arbitration proceedings and litigations involving insurance and reinsurance matters. She represents companies in disputes concerning life reinsurance treaties and defends public corporations in class action lawsuits, securities litigation, and SEC enforcement actions.
In the reinsurance/insurance litigation side of her practice, Deirdre has extensive experience with all types of coverage disputes, including those involving professional liability, life and health, variable annuity, general liability, surety, product liability, employment discrimination, first-party property, and environmental matters. She has represented numerous clients in disputes arising under policies on the Bermuda form. Her work also encompasses guiding clients through US-based, Bermuda, and London arbitration proceedings.
Prior to joining Mintz, Deirdre served as a partner in the Washington, DC offices of two global law firms. Earlier, she was a partner and an associate at another international law firm.
- Georgetown University (JD, cum laude)
- University of Tennessee (BA, cum laude)
- Represented a cedent in Scottish Re rehabilitation proceeding.
- Represented cedents in life reinsurance arbitrations involving yearly renewable term (YRT) rate disputes.
- Represented an assurance company connected to a multinational financial services corporation in a contested death benefits claim.
- Represented London market insurers and reinsurers in complex disputes involving liability, surety, property and casualty, and other issues.
- Represented an international life insurer in a class action involving allegations of material misstatements in financial statements that concerned valuation allowances on deferred tax assets and Sarbanes-Oxley certifications.
- Led internal investigations, in response to shareholder demand letters, into reserving practices used by health maintenance organizations and property and casualty reinsurers.
- Advised a captive manager on the drafting of insurance policies and reinsurance contracts, corporate governance matters, and regulatory issues.
- Represented a captive reinsurer in a reinsurance arbitration against its fronting insurer.
- Served as a party-appointed arbitrator in a reinsurance dispute over a medical stop-loss treaty.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Insurance Litigation (2012–present)
- Chambers USA: District of Columbia — Insurance: Insurer (2015–present)
- Included on the Washington DC Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage list (2013–2020)
- Co-chair, Reinsurance Subcommittee of the ABA’s Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Member, Association of Professional Insurance Women
- Past chair, AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS US)