Crystal focuses her practice on class action defense, with an emphasis on consumer fraud, data privacy, marketing, accessibility, technology and compliance issues. These claims often involve the alleged improper breach or disclosure or use of private information and related data. Crystal has extensive experience successfully defending against class action claims brought under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, state data breach laws, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Title II, III and state accessibility law compliance and public accommodations, Unfair Competition Laws, False Advertising Laws, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Hobby Protection Act and Auto-Renewal Law in both state and federal courts.
She has defended corporate clients against class actions at all stages of litigation, including through class certification, preliminary, and final approval of settlements. She has a track record for early and efficient dispute resolution and saving costs associated with discovery through early informal negotiations, mediation and class action settlements. Crystal is also a member of the firm's Sports & Entertainment Practice.
Prior to joining Mintz, Crystal worked as an associate at a global firm, and clerked for the Honorable Frederick J. Martone in the US District Court for the District of Arizona. Before pursuing her legal education, Crystal was a junior consultant at the World Bank, a Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute fellow, and Editor in Chief at Human Rights Law Review and staff editor of A Jailhouse Lawyer’s Manual.
- Successfully defended companies in numerous industries against putative class actions alleging website inaccessibility and violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Negotiated a successful settlement on behalf of JB Line, a cosmetics retailer, in a class action alleging violations of New York false advertising laws in connection with a beauty product.
- Successfully settled a class action alleging violation of the TCPA against Popeye’s, a fast-food restaurant chain. At the outset we filed and won a motion to stay the case pending the Supreme Court’s decision in Spokeo. After the stay was lifted we informed plaintiff’s counsel of our intent to file a motion to dismiss for lack of standing and they made a settlement demand.
- Represented 24 Hour Fitness in a TCPA class action matter in CA. Matter was resolved quickly and efficiently via favorable settlement agreement.
- Represented Western Union in a class action for unfair business practices. Successfully settled on an individual basis on the eve of filing a motion to dismiss without any discovery.
- Obtained an early dismissal before an answer or motion practice in various class actions, including:
- Coerver v. Webimax., Southern District of Texas
- Makaron v. World Wide Vacations, Central District of California
- Obtained multiple favorable settlements in class actions involving statutory violations for the TCPA and the recording of telephone calls
- Counseled corporate clients to ensure compliance with telemarketing laws
September 30, 2022 | Article | By Joshua Briones, Crystal Lopez
September 21, 2021 | Article | By Russell Fox, Joshua Briones, Jonathan P. Garvin, Crystal Lopez
TCPA Litigation Update — Sixth Circuit Holds TCPA Claims Arising Between November 2015 and July 2020 Are Viable
September 21, 2021 | Article | By Joshua Briones, Crystal Lopez
News & Press
January 24, 2023
January 5, 2022
July 13, 2020
November 13, 2019
April 19, 2018
July 14, 2017
December 30, 2016
August 30, 2016
March 11, 2016
January 26, 2016
Events & Speaking
Los Angeles, CA
UCLA School of Law
ACC Southern California In-House Counsel Conference - January 31, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Shutters Hotel 1 Pico Bl.vd., Grand Salon Santa Monica, CA 90405
Los Angeles, CA
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers of America Ones to Watch - Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants (2021-2023)
- Best Lawyers in America "Ones to Watch": Commercial Litigation (2024)
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star: Class Action (2018-2020)
- BTI Consulting Group Client Service All-Star (2020)
- Southern California Super Lawyers Top Women Attorneys Rising Star: Class Action (2019)
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the Leaders in Law - Attorney Nominees (2017)