Crystal focuses her practice on class action defense, with an emphasis on consumer fraud, data privacy, marketing and compliance issues claims. Crystal has extensive experience successfully defending against class action claims brought under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, California Unfair Competition Law, False Advertising Law, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Hobby Protection Act and Auto-Renewal Law in both state and federal courts.
She has defended corporate clients against class actions at all stages of litigation, including through class certification, preliminary, and final approval of settlements. She has a track record for early and efficient dispute resolution and saving costs associated with discovery through early informal negotiations, mediation and class action settlements. Crystal is also a member of the firm's Sports & Entertainment Practice.
Prior to joining Mintz, Crystal worked as an associate at a global firm, and clerked for the Honorable Frederick J. Martone in the US District Court for the District of Arizona. Before pursuing her legal education, Crystal was a junior consultant at the World Bank, a Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute fellow, and Editor in Chief at Human Rights Law Review and staff editor of A Jailhouse Lawyer’s Manual.
- Columbia University (JD)
- Stanford University (BA, with honors)
- Negotiated a successful settlement on behalf of JB Line, a cosmetics retailer, in a class action alleging violations of New York false advertising laws in connection with a beauty product.
- Successfully settled a class action alleging violation of the TCPA against Popeye’s, a fast-food restaurant chain. At the outset we filed and won a motion to stay the case pending the Supreme Court’s decision in Spokeo. After the stay was lifted we informed plaintiff’s counsel of our intent to file a motion to dismiss for lack of standing and they made a settlement demand.
- Obtained an early dismissal before an answer or motion practice in various class actions, including:
- Coerver v. Webimax., Southern District of Texas
- Makaron v. World Wide Vacations, Central District of California
- Obtained multiple favorable settlements in class actions involving statutory violations for the TCPA and the recording of telephone calls
- Counseled corporate clients to ensure compliance with telemarketing laws
Recognition & Awards
- Included on the Southern California Super Lawyers: Rising Star list (2018)