Ellen has a 20-year track record of providing smart, cost-effective litigation strategies to US and international clients. She has achieved favorable settlements for companies and educational institutions in high-stakes insurance and reinsurance disputes involving asbestos, environmental, financial lines, sexual assault and employment-related claims.
In addition to litigating complex cases, Ellen provides advice on insurance and reinsurance coverage issues and advises clients on insurance policy language and mitigation of risk. Ellen’s practice also includes a focus on insurance coverage issues relating to data privacy and security, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and the Internet of Things (IoT). Ellen brings an in-house perspective to her practice, as she was seconded for more than two years to the reinsurance department of a large US property casualty insurance company, and later served as an in-house coverage counsel for a national insurance carrier group.
Ellen is frequently invited to share her insights on insurance and reinsurance best practices at conferences and other events, and contributes articles to leading insurance industry and law publications.
- University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill (JD, with high honors)
- Yale University (BA, magna cum laude)
- Represents insurers in Kentucky state court against a policyholder’s claim for insurance coverage for alleged asbestos liabilities.
- Represents a carrier in connection with coverage claims involving alleged methyl tertiary-butyl ether (MTBE) contamination.
- Represents a group of carriers in connection with coverage of nationwide anti-trust class actions.
- Represents a carrier group in connection with the rehabilitation of a Delaware reinsurer.
- Successfully defended insurers against bad faith claims in California state court involving an employment practices liability insurance policy.
- Successfully defended an insurance carrier group in New York state court against a Fortune 100 company’s coverage claims for alleged asbestos liabilities.
- Represented an insurance carrier group in liquidation proceedings involving an insolvent New Hampshire insurer.
- Negotiated settlements of a tire manufacturer’s claim for insurance coverage for alleged asbestos liabilities on an expedited basis
- Resolved a California-based valve manufacturer’s claim for insurance coverage for the company’s alleged asbestos liabilities through a creative settlement.
- Negotiated the settlement of a manufacturer’s claim for insurance coverage for pollution liabilities in New Jersey.
- Represented an insurer with respect to a college’s claims for insurance coverage for liabilities arising out of an employment dispute.
- Represented an insurer with respect to a secondary school’s claim for insurance coverage for liabilities arising out of molestation claims.
- Represented an insurer with respect to a university’s claim for insurance coverage for alleged liabilities arising out of a failed dorm construction project.
- Represented an insurer with respect to a university’s claim for insurance coverage for alleged liabilities arising out of sexual assault and Title IX claims.
- Successfully capped an insurer’s coverage obligations with respect to claims against a New York contractor.
Recognition & Awards
- Order of the Coif
- Member, ARIAS-US