Jim focuses on patent law and is dedicated to writing claims and patent applications that advance his clients’ goals. He enjoys getting to know his clients’ technologies, and he integrates a hands-on (or feet-on, for his surf clients) understanding of their products into his work to develop patent strategies and tactics that afford them the broadest possible protections. His clients include action sports and apparel companies, among them top players in the surfing, skateboarding, kite surfing, and fitness industries. He also represents leaders in the medical devices, telecommunications, and software industries. Jim is regularly recognized as a top patent and IP attorney by regional and national publications.
James focuses on patent law, including preparation and prosecution of patent applications, rendering of opinions on infringement and validity, licensing, due diligence investigations, and client counseling, with an emphasis on electrical, telecommunications, software, and mechanical technologies. James is also founder of the action sports and apparel practice at Mintz, representing top clients in the surfing, skateboarding, kite surfing, and fitness industries.
Before joining the firm, James was a principal at an international intellectual property law firm located in San Diego. His Internet and software experience includes the areas of enterprise applications, business warehouse and database platforms, computer graphics and presentation software, communications protocols, and e-commerce applications. His electronics experience includes computer hardware, controls, and networking devices such as switches, routers, and repeaters. His telecommunications experience includes wireless communications, particularly base station and antenna design, digital signal processing, encryption, and encoding technologies. His mechanical technologies experience includes wave machines, skateboards, exercise and therapeutic equipment, medical devices, and mechanical assembly systems.
While serving in the Air Force, James was a senior test engineer and product team leader for the US Air Force Defense Dissemination Program (1991 – 1994), and a program manager and technical representative for Northrop Corporation, USAF Office (1989 – 1991).
- University of California - Davis (JD)
- Chapman University (MBA)
- US Air Force Academy (BS, Electrical Engineering and Communications)
- Mintz attorneys serve as sole US and foreign patent filing and prosecution team for one of the world's largest credit rating agencies, which is also a leader in fraud detection and other financial risk mitigation technology. The firm has tailored the company's portfolio and strategies for filing (with a particular focus on jurisdiction analysis) which saves the company money while achieving protections in the markets where they are most likely to have them granted and where they most need them. The firm is responsible for more than 100 issued US patents.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Trademark Law (2018 – 2019)
- Included on the San Diego Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property list (2019)
- Included on the Southern California Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property list (2014 – 2018)
- San Diego Daily Transcript: “Top Attorneys” (2006 – 2010)