Katharine is an associate in the firm’s litigation practice who focuses her practice on complex commercial, appellate, and securities litigation, as well as criminal defense. She represents consumer brands and retail and manufacturing clients in business disputes and commercial litigation with particular expertise in breach of contract cases and complex Lanham Act claims. She also has experience guiding clients through securities litigation including shareholder disputes in the Delaware Chancery Court, derivative litigation, appraisal litigation, class action lawsuits, and fiduciary litigation. She has an active appellate practice and represents clients on a variety of related matters from designing a successful appellate strategy, to drafting briefs, and preparing for and conducting oral arguments before a number of courts, including the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, Massachusetts Appeals Court, Second Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Federal Circuit. She has also researched and drafted amicus briefs for the Massachusetts Appeals Court. Katharine is deeply knowledgeable about the e-discovery process and uses her expertise to effectively streamline processes such as document review, collection, and analysis. In addition, Katharine has experience counseling and representing criminal defendants in felony and misdemeanor cases before the Massachusetts state courts.
Katharine maintains an active pro bono practice. She runs Mintz’s flagship pro bono program, the Domestic Violence Project, and personally represents survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault at the state level. Most recently, she represented a survivor of sexual assault on a privilege issue of first impression in front of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. In addition, she worked as part of a Mintz team filing an amicus brief in state appeals court interpreting the Violence Against Women Act and how the law is applied in relation to public housing agencies. She also has represented individuals seeking political asylum and is a long standing volunteer for the Civil Appeals Clinic, most recently assisting with the Boston Bar Association training for new volunteers.
Prior to joining Mintz, Katharine was a litigation associate in the Boston office of a large, international law firm, where she researched and drafted appellate briefs, motions, and memoranda and managed all stages of discovery.
Earlier Katharine was a Judicial Law Clerk for Associate Justice Gregory I. Massing of the Massachusetts Appeals Court. During her year at the court, Katharine reviewed appellate briefs, researched issues of criminal and civil law, prepared pre-oral argument memoranda, researched judicial opinions, and observed and evaluated oral arguments.
During law school Katharine worked as a summer associate and held internships, including a five-month post in the London office of an international law firm focused on cross-border disputes.
- Secured a complete dismissal of a product liability case and appellate attorney’s fees at the Massachusetts Appeals Court on behalf of one of the world’s largest biotechnology companies by successfully arguing to uphold the state high court’s initial dismissal and the lower court’s denial of the motion for relief from judgment.
- Represented a travel and real estate rental business in regulatory enforcement matter before the Massachusetts Division of Professional Licensure.
- Secured a complete motion to dismiss in a securities class action case on behalf of a large multinational operator of membership warehouse clubs, and its former executives. The case, brought in the Southern District of California, centered on allegations that the company misled the public about its performance, among other missteps.
- Represented a manufacturer of cleaning devices for continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines in a false advertising suit brought in the Southern District of New York by a multinational competitor, which dealt with complex Lanham Act claims.
News & Press
Recognition & Awards
- Victim Rights Law Center Shining Star Award (2022)
- Best Lawyers in America "Ones to Watch": Commercial Litigation (2021-2023)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Business Litigation (2022)
- Pro Bono Honor Roll, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Standing Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services (2019-2021)
- Boston Bar Association, Co-Chair Senior Associate Forum
- Women's Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association