Marc works with clients to develop and implement effective intellectual property strategies and is recognized as one of San Diego’s top IP attorneys. In addition to obtaining and managing patent portfolios, he handles licensing and other IP-related transactions as well as the requisite due diligence.
Marc provides strategic patent and trademark counseling, manages and prosecutes complex IP portfolios, and advises and counsels diverse clients ranging from early stage to established technology focused companies, research institutions, and venture capital and investment companies. He works with clients across a variety of industries, particularly the pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices, clean technology, and the mechanical and action sports sectors. His experience encompasses pharmaceuticals, biologics, drug-device combinations, industrial biotechnology, assisted reproductive technology and stem cells, immunology, molecular biology and molecular research tools, chemical engineering, software, mechanical devices, and action sports innovation.
Prior to joining the firm, Marc was a partner in the San Diego office of another large law firm. He also worked for a California-based biopharmaceutical company, where he was involved in the development and optimization of recombinant protein expression systems, protein purification and recovery methods, process scale-up, and process computer automation.
Outside of his legal practice, Marc is active in the legal community having served as the President of the San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association, and as the chair of the IP section of the San Diego County Bar Association. Marc also taught patent law at the University of San Diego School of Law as an adjunct professor and taught patent prosecution and biotechnology patent law at UC San Diego.
Before graduating from law school, Marc was a summer law clerk for the US Senate Judiciary Committee, and worked on legislative projects including the Omnibus Patent Reform Act of 1997, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and the Database Piracy Act. In addition, he served as a judicial extern to the Honorable D. Lowell Jensen of the US District Court for the Northern District of California.
- University of California - Hastings College of the Law (JD)
- Brigham Young University (BS, Microbiology)
Recognition & Awards
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals (2015 – 2016)
- The Legal 500: Recognized for Health Care: Life Sciences and for Patent Licensing and Transactional (2014)
- San Diego Daily Transcript: Top Intellectual Property Attorneys (2012)
- San Diego Daily Transcript: Top Young Attorneys (2007)
- Past President, San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- Past Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property Section, San Diego County Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor of Patent Law, University of San Diego School of Law (2006 – 2013)
- Instructor of Biotechnology Patent Law, University of California, San Diego (2008 – 2015)