Michael focuses his practice on representing banks, financial services, and other companies in litigation and government proceedings involving consumer protection and other laws. He also handles arbitrations and guides clients through government and internal investigations. He represents publicly traded companies in a variety of industries, including retail and manufacturing, as well as internet start-ups.
Michael’s extensive experience with consumer protection laws includes the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), and Massachusetts’ consumer protection law, M.G.L. c. 93A. He represents and defends clients before federal and state agencies: the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the US Department of Justice (DOJ), the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office, and the Massachusetts Securities Division.
Before joining Mintz, Michael was a senior associate in the Boston office of an international law firm, where he represented clients facing alleged violations of federal and state consumer protection laws and in a wide array of regulatory investigations. During a secondment from that firm, he spent three months as a senior counsel for a major bank and managed its portfolio consumer lending, automobile financing, commercial transactions, and securities fraud cases. He also actively participated in a pro bono program for victims of domestic violence.
Earlier, he served as a budget and policy analyst and a legislative aide for then Massachusetts State Representative (and current State Senator) Michael F. Rush.
- Boston College (JD)
- Boston College (BA)
- Successfully defended Citizens Bank against putative class allegations of aiding and abetting fraud and breach of fiduciary in connection with a $100 million Ponzi scheme. The Western District of NY dismissed the complaint, with prejudice. The dismissal was upheld by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Recognition & Awards
- Named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (2017)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Medfield TV
- Chair, Warrant Committee, Town of Medfield, Massachusetts