Michael is an intellectual property attorney whose practice encompasses trademark and copyright enforcement, technology and licensing transactions, patent and trademark portfolio management, and counseling clients on intellectual property issues that arise in business deals. He also has extensive experience in cybersecurity, privacy, and social media law, and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/US. His clients range from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies in a broad range of industries, including technology, manufacturing, sports & entertainment, and digital & social media.
The rights enforcement side of Michael’s practice includes trademark, copyright, and patent matters, domain name proceedings, and advising clients on publicity and privacy rights.
Michael’s IP transactional work includes drafting licensing, joint venture, and other agreements involving trademarks and technology. He also frequently conducts due diligence on intellectual property issues related to mergers and acquisitions, securitizations, loans, securities offerings, and other transactions.
A national expert, Michael has been interviewed on television and quoted in national media outlets on file-sharing and copyright issues. According to World Trademark Review, Mr. Graif, “epitomizes the term ‘IP expert’,” and has “a breadth of experience in trademark work and can clearly explain legal concepts and strategies to people who may not be well versed in law.” Along with appearing on Bloomberg Television and Reuters Television, he has been quoted in the Washington Post, San Francisco Chronicle, Above the Law, The Guardian of London and The Daily Deal, and other news outlets. He teaches social media law as a Lecturer in Law at the University of Pennsylvania Law School and an Adjunct Professor at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law.
Prior to joining Mintz, Michael was chair of the intellectual property group at a New York-based international law firm, where he was a partner for a decade. Earlier, he was a partner at a Washington, DC-based national law firm; a counsel and associate at another New York-based global law firm; and an associate at a New York-based intellectual property law firm.
- University of Toronto (LLB)
- University of Pennsylvania (BS, Electrical Engineering, magna cum laude)
- Counseled boutique tax company G2 FinTech on intellectual property issues related to the sale of its technology and intellectual property assets to KPMG LLP.
- Counseled MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc. on intellectual property issues in its $550 Million Acquisition of the North American distribution business of Barnes Group Inc.
- Acted as trademark expert for Kraft/Heinz in trade dress dispute in Australia with Bega Cheese.
- Defeated a motion for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction for copyright infringement, trade dress infringement, and unfair competition brought against Casabella Holdings.
Recognition & Awards
- World Trademark Review: WTR 1000 Leading Trademark Practitioners (2013 – 2021)
- Pro Bono Award, Legal Aid Society (2005)
- Included on the New York Super Lawyers list (2013 – 2019)
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, International Trademark Association