Paul is a litigator with more than 30 years of experience serving the insurance and financial services industries. He focuses his practice on insurance and reinsurance matters, frequently representing clients in coverage disputes involving tort and environmental claims, class actions related to claims handling practices, international arbitrations, and liquidations.
Paul primarily focuses on counseling the world’s largest insurers in complex litigations and arbitrations - including matters involving coal ash, pesticides,pharmaceuticals, asbestos, silica, medical devices, talc, molestation, benzene and sports concussions - in federal, state and bankruptcy courts. He is a prolific thought leader and frequently authors articles and client alerts and speaks on panels related to emerging areas of insurance claims. He also advises insurers and captive insurers on new insurance products and policy language and provides risk management strategies through policy editing and risk analysis modeling for existing claims.
Since 2000, Paul has also served as counsel for the Coalition for Litigation Justice, Inc., a nonprofit established by property and casualty insurers to address abuses and inequities in mass tort litigation. In his role as counsel to the coalition, Paul assists in drafting and filing amicus briefs in that may have significant impact on the asbestos, silica and toxic tort environment, promotes judicial education through legal scholarship and educational conferences, and works with counsel in key jurisdictions to promote changes to the ways in which courts handle mass tort litigation.
Prior to joining Mintz, Paul served as a partner in the Washington, DC office of a global law firm. He began his career at another international law firm, where he served as an associate, counsel, and partner.
In law school, Paul served as editor of the Northwestern University Law Review and graduated Order of the Coif.
- Northwestern University (JD)
- Duke University (BA, magna cum laude)
- Serving as national coverage counsel for insurers on tort cases (including matters involvingRound Up, paraquat, asbestos, silica, implants and other medical devices, talc, Prilosec, Ortho Evra, Covid-19, DES, denture adhesives, AIDS-tainted blood, molestation, benzene, and sports concussions) and environmental litigation (including matters involving coal ash, MTBE and perfluorinated chemicals).
- Serving as national coverage counsel for insurers in matters involving Hurricane Katrina, the TVA coal ash dam spill, a dam collapse in South America, an oil spill from a French tanker, a gas explosion in Massachusetts, Deepwater Horizon and and a natural gas leak in Los Angeles.
- Representing insurers in purported class actions alleging unfair claims handling practices in the resolution of thousands of claims.
- Representing insurers and reinsurers in liquidation matters.
- Handling “Bermuda Form” international arbitrations for insurers.
- Representing reinsurers in disputes involving first party and third party claims.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: District of Columbia — Insurance: Insurer (2004 - 2021)
- Chambers USA: Nationwide — Insurance Dispute Resolution (2004 - 2021)
- Best Lawyers in America: Insurance Litigation (2022)
- The Legal 500 United States [Insurance Law]
- Martindale-Hubbell: Rated AV Preeminent
- Expert Guides: Best of the Best USA
- Who’s Who Legal: Insurance & Reinsurance
- Top Attorneys in Washington, DC
- Included on the Washington DC Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage list (2010–2015, 2017–2021)
- Past co-chair, Annual Meeting, ABA Section of Litigation
- Past member, ABA Task Force on the State of the Civil Justice System