Paul is a litigator with more than 30 years of experience serving the insurance and financial services industries. He focuses his practice on insurance and reinsurance matters, frequently representing clients in coverage disputes involving tort and environmental claims, class actions related to claims handling practices, international arbitrations, and liquidations.
Since 2000, Paul has also served as counsel for the Coalition for Litigation Justice, Inc., a nonprofit established by property and casualty insurers to address abuses and inequities in mass tort litigation. He also advises insurers and captive insurers on new insurance products and policy language.
Prior to joining Mintz, Paul served as a partner in the Washington, DC office of a global law firm. He began his career at another international law firm, where he served as an associate, counsel, and partner.
In law school, Paul served as editor of the Northwestern University Law Review.
- Northwestern University (JD)
- Duke University (BA, magna cum laude)
- Serving as national coverage counsel for insurers on tort cases (involving pharmaceuticals, asbestos, silica, medical devices, talc, molestation, benzene, and sports concussions) and environmental litigation (including matters involving MTBE and perfluorinated chemicals).
- Representing insurers as national coverage counsel in connection with the coal ash spill at the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) Kingston Fossil Plant.
- Serving as national coverage counsel for insurers in matters involving Hurricane Katrina, a dam collapse in South America, and a natural gas leak in Los Angeles.
- Representing insurers in purported class actions alleging unfair claims handling practices in the resolution of thousands of claims.
- Representing insurers and reinsurers in liquidation matters.
- Handling “Bermuda Form” international arbitrations for insurers.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: District of Columbia — Insurance: Insurer (2004 - 2021)
- Chambers USA: Nationwide — Insurance Dispute Resolution (2004 - 2021)
- Best Lawyers in America: Insurance Litigation
- The Legal 500 United States [Insurance Law]
- Martindale-Hubbell: Rated AV Preeminent
- Expert Guides: Best of the Best USA
- Who’s Who Legal: Insurance & Reinsurance
- Top Attorneys in Washington, DC
- Included on the Washington DC Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage list (2010–2015, 2017–2021)
- Order of the Coif
- Past co-chair, Annual Meeting, ABA Section of Litigation
- Past member, ABA Task Force on the State of the Civil Justice System