Antony is co-Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Litigation group and Member in the Litigation Section. He has a robust real estate litigation practice that also incorporates complex business matters. He handles a wide variety of real estate cases: foreclosure proceedings in and out of court, eminent domain matters, lender liability and financing cases, easement challenges, and lease disputes. Developers rely on his counsel and courtroom prowess amid disputes involving subcontractors, the development approval process, and many other types of matters. He also represents landlords, tenants, trustees and beneficiaries, public agencies, and homeowner associations.
Antony represents clients in complex business and real estate litigation matters such as judicial and nonjudicial foreclosure proceedings, commercial disputes, eminent domain proceedings, and unlawful detainer and lease disputes. He is skilled at counselling clients outside the court room on strategies to avoid trial, however when litigation is unavoidable, he has extensive trial experience, and has represented clients including trustees and beneficiaries, public agencies, private citizens, landlords, and tenants in dozens of courtroom trials and arbitrations with a phenomenal track record of success. In addition, Antony represents real estate developers in all forms of litigation, ranging from subcontractor disputes to development approvals. Antony is the San Diego Office Hiring Partner.
He is also heavily involved with the firm’s California Land Use Practice, which focuses on providing strategic counseling to property owners and developers in California facing transactional, environmental and litigation issues related to their property. In a state with some of the world’s most valuable real estate and notoriously complex land regulations, litigation may inevitably occur and Antony has extensive experience assisting clients in diffusing or resolving disputes before they escalate to a court room, helping clients to avoid litigation costs. Antony also has significant experience handling easement disputes as well as breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and other tort actions.
Prior to joining Mintz, Antony practiced in the San Diego office of another large law firm, where he served as the section leader of the Southern California commercial litigation division and as the firm’s hiring partner.
Over the years Antony has provided pro bono representation in litigation disputes for a number of clients, including San Diego’s Law Library Clinic. He has also assisted parents seeking to obtain conservatorship on behalf of their children with disabilities In order to assist with making pertinent medical decisions.
- University of California - Hastings College of the Law (JD)
- University of California - Los Angeles (BA)
- Secured a comprehensive trial victory on behalf of a real estate client involving its one-of-a-kind residence in one of the most exclusive locations in San Diego. In a two-week bench trial, our team successfully defended the client’s property rights against defendants' violations of a restrictive covenant. Ultimately, the court agreed that the defendants' actions violated the covenant, ordered them to remove completed improvements constructed, and enjoined defendants from attempting to construct any other improvements in violation of the covenant, in addition to ordering recovery of attorney’s fees.
- Secured a complete trial victory on behalf of a developer in San Diego Superior Court in a hotly contested adverse-possession quiet-title claim dispute with a neighboring landowner, which prevented a significant residential development from going forward and delayed access to affordable housing for approximately 2,000 families. The trial victory came after six years of litigation when the court ruled in our favor, in addition to ruling against the defendant on all of its counter-claims.
- Successfully defended Colony Realty Partners LLC in a case pertaining to alleged fraud in the sale of a $17 million commercial office park. The opposing party, Milliken Business Center, went from a full demand of fees three weeks before trial to a dismissal with prejudice after the first day of trial. Final deposition from the Plaintiff created weakness in their case due to the discovery of an inspection report that undercut their claims.
- We won a $4 million reciprocal parking agreement interpretation dispute over a strip mall in San Diego.
- Successfully defended a recreational vehicle company from a large scale personal injury tort claim resulting in a de minimus settlement and dismissal of the claim with prejudice.
- Secured reversal in Court of Appeal of denial of municipality client's anti-SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) motion filed in response to one of numerous lawsuits brought by local developer, asserting breach of contract based on political activities of elected officials.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Litigation - Real Estate (2021- 2022)
- San Diego Business Journal: "Best of the Bar" (2015)
- Member, American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter
- Member, Mensa International
- Member, San Diego Bar Association
- Member, San Diego Track Club
- Member, San Diego Triathlon Club
- Member, UCLA Alumni Association