Randy is an esteemed trial lawyer who draws on his extensive courtroom experience to provide value to clients, often through negotiating efficient solutions for clients well short of trial. Randy has litigated and tried to jury verdict hundreds of cases in federal and state courts after nearly three decades as an Assistant US Attorney and US Navy Judge Advocate. Clients who need seasoned courtroom practitioners have asked Randy to take charge of cases shortly before trials. He represents executives and companies across many industries in complex commercial litigation, civil and criminal investigations, and white collar criminal matters.
Randy represents clients in high stakes business disputes, healthcare and government fraud cases involving False Claims Act, Qui Tam, Anti-Kickback Statute and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act complaints, unfair competition, regulatory compliance, and sports law matters requiring top-caliber trial counsel. Randy also speaks on ethics and compliance training relating to corporate internal investigations, government investigations, cybersecurity, email communications and other business related issues.
Randy works closely with clients to develop and implement crisis management plans to help avoid costly business disruptions, negative publicity, lawsuits and government investigations. Randy’s experience conducting federal grand jury proceedings gives him invaluable insight into the needs of institutional and corporate clients facing sensitive and high profile internal investigations.
Randy is uniquely qualified to take over cases from lawyers and law firms needing a more seasoned trial attorney, particularly in those cases that appear headed for trial. One of Randy’s recent representations involved the defense of an international commercial bank in an employment whistleblowing case relating to money laundering claims. Randy and his defense team, who were engaged to replace existing trial counsel on the eve of trial, secured a reversal of a denial of summary judgement from a Federal District Court that resulted in a prompt and favorable resolution of the action.
Prior to joining Mintz, Randy served as an Assistant US Attorney in the US Department of Justice. As a federal prosecutor, Randy was responsible for the investigation, management and prosecution of numerous cases involving complex white collar fraud schemes and criminal conspiracies involving financial, immigration, illegal narcotics and violent crimes.
- University of North Carolina (JD)
- University of North Carolina (BA)
- Represented client relating to claims of false advertising and unfair business practices claims in the sale of various dental practices.
- Successfully represented the largest public school district in Tennessee in defense of employment case arising out of federal and state law causes of action, specifically including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and wrongful discharge.
- Represents a multibillion dollar food service company in various vendor contract disputes and real estate transactions.
- Successfully defended a recreational vehicle company from a large scale personal injury tort claim resulting in a de minimus settlement and dismissal of the claim with prejudice.
- Represents major league baseball team in business dispute involving breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims.
- Prepared compliance and ethics guidelines and frequently asked questions for international company on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other anti-bribery statutes.
- Represented a leading distressed property investment company in defense of class action complaint alleging invasion of privacy claims related to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Represented full-service, acute-care public hospital in government investigation related to unlawful claims for reimbursement of healthcare services in violation of the federal False Claims Act.
- Obtained a decision by the New York Appellate Division to set aside the jury verdict against our client, a high-profile real estate developer, in a race discrimination case.
- In complex civil RICO case, represented Taiwanese creditor in claims against 34 foreign and domestic defendants. Successfully defeated over 30 motions to dismiss, managed millions of pages of written discovery, over 40 depositions on two continents and hundreds of discovery disputes before two court-appointed Special Masters. Defeated summary judgment and in limine motions. Favorably settled case at commencement of trial.
- Defended an international commercial bank in an employment whistleblowing case relating to money laundering claims. After being engaged to replace existing trial counsel on the eve of trial, we secured a reversal of a denial of summary judgement from a Federal District Court that resulted in a prompt and favorable resolution of the action.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation (2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- California Lawyer: “Top 20 Lawyers of the Year”
- California Law Business Journal: “Top 25 Lawyers Under 40”
- San Diego Magazine: “San Diego’s Top Lawyers”
- Ebony: “100 Most Influential Leaders”
- UNC General Alumni Association: Distinguished Service Medal
- UNC General Alumni Association: Distinguished Young Alumni Award
- Who's Who in American Law
- San Diego County Bar Association: Public Lawyer of the Year
- Union Bank/KPBS: Local Hero Recipient
- Honorary Doctor of Laws (LL.D.): Claflin University, Orangeburg, SC
- Member, US Senator Kamala Harris’ Judicial Selection Committee for California
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego Chapter
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, White Collar Crime Committee
- Member, American Bar Association, Litigation Section (Former Fellow, Business Law Section)
- Member, Federal Bar Association, San Diego Chapter
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association (Past Member, United States Magistrate Selection Committee; Past Member, Judicial Selection Committee)
- Master, American Inns of Court, J. Clifford Wallace American Inn of Court
- Life Member, National Bar Association (Past President and CEO)
- Trustee, Thomas Jefferson School of Law (Past Chairman)
- Trustee, Francis Parker School
- Manager, Jackie Robinson Family YMCA
- Past President, Earl B. Gilliam Bar Foundation, San Diego, CA
- Past Chairman, National Court Appointed Special Advocate Association
- Past Chairman, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, General Alumni Association
- Past Chairman, Neighborhood House Association
- Past Chairman, Southeast Development Corporation
- Past Chairman, San Diego Food Bank
- Past Chairman, YMCA of San Diego County
- Past Director, San Diego Crime Victims Fund
- Past Director, NAACP, San Diego Chapter
- Past Director, High Five America
- Past Director, United Church Board for Homeland Ministries, UCC
- Graduate, LEAD San Diego, Inc. (Past Chairman, Alumni Board)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation