Randy is an esteemed trial attorney who draws on his extensive courtroom experience to provide value to clients, often through negotiating efficient solutions for clients well short of trial. Randy has litigated and tried to jury verdict hundreds of cases in federal and state courts after nearly three decades as an Assistant US Attorney and US Navy Judge Advocate. Clients who need seasoned courtroom practitioners have asked Randy to take charge of cases shortly before trials. He represents individuals and companies across many industries in complex business disputes, internal investigations, and white collar civil and criminal defense matters.
As one of the country's most experienced and skilled trial attorneys, Randy specializes in cases involving False Claims Act, Qui Tam, Anti-Kickback Statute, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, securities, real estate, banking, money laundering, government contracts, health care and public corruption. Randy also speaks on issues relating to corporate internal investigations, cybersecurity, and other business related issues.
Randy works closely with clients to develop and implement crisis management plans to help avoid costly business disruptions, negative publicity, lawsuits and government investigations. Randy’s experience conducting federal grand jury proceedings gives him invaluable insight into the needs of institutional and corporate clients facing sensitive and high profile internal investigations.
He is uniquely qualified to take over cases from lawyers and law firms needing a more seasoned trial attorney, particularly in those cases that appear headed for trial. Prior to joining Mintz, Randy served as an Assistant US Attorney in the Southern District of California. As a federal prosecutor for almost 30 years, Randy was responsible for the investigation, management and prosecution of numerous cases involving complex white collar fraud schemes and criminal conspiracies involving financial, immigration, illegal narcotics and violent crimes.
- University of North Carolina (JD)
- University of North Carolina (BA)
- Obtained a decision by the New York Appellate Division to set aside the jury verdict against our client, a high-profile real estate developer, in a race discrimination case.
- In complex civil RICO case, represented Taiwanese creditor in claims against 34 foreign and domestic defendants. Successfully defeated over 30 motions to dismiss, managed millions of pages of written discovery, over 40 depositions on two continents and hundreds of discovery disputes before two court-appointed Special Masters. Defeated summary judgment and in limine motions. Favorably settled case at commencement of trial.
- Defended an international commercial bank in an employment whistleblowing case relating to money laundering claims. After being engaged to replace existing trial counsel on the eve of trial, we secured a reversal of a denial of summary judgement from a Federal District Court that resulted in a prompt and favorable resolution of the action.
- Represented an individual defense contractor employee in federal investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of California involving overbilling of the government for labor by a major defense contractor. The case was settled and closed without any action being taken against our client.
- Represented several diagnostic laboratories in connection with criminal and civil investigations by the Department of Justice involving false claims act and anti-kickback statutes.
- Avoided criminal charges for a CPA in connection with SEC insider trading investigation which was settled without any government action being taken against our client.
- Conducted a large scale internal investigation for independent board committee of a multi-billion dollar fast food restaurant chain focusing on allegations made by a franchisee association regarding mismanagement by the CEO.
- Successfully defended the largest public school district in Tennessee against allegations of violations of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar settlement for a multinational food service company in complex breach of contract case.
- Successfully defended a recreational vehicle company from a large scale personal injury tort claim resulting in a de minimus settlement and dismissal of the claim with prejudice.
- Represented major league baseball team in business dispute involving breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims.
- Represented distressed property investment company in defense of class action complaint alleging invasion of privacy claims related to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Represented full-service, acute-care public hospital in government investigation related to unlawful claims for reimbursement of healthcare services in violation of the federal False Claims Act.
- Prepared compliance and ethics guidelines for international company on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other anti-bribery statutes.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyer Commercial Litigation (2020 - 2021), Best Lawyers in America
- Preeminent Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell AV
- “Top 20 Lawyers of the Year”, California Lawyer
- “Top 25 Lawyers Under 40”, California Law Business Journal
- “San Diego’s Top Lawyers”, San Diego Magazine
- “100 Most Influential Leaders”, Ebony Magazine
- Distinguished Service Medal, UNC General Alumni Association
- Distinguished Young Alumni Award, UNC General Alumni Association
- Who's Who in American Law
- Public Lawyer of the Year, San Diego County Bar Association
- Local Hero Recipient, Union Bank/KPBS
- Honorary Doctor of Laws (LL.D.): Claflin University, Orangeburg, SC
- Member, US Senator Kamala Harris’ Southern District of California Judicial Commission
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, White Collar Crime Committee
- Member, American Bar Association, Litigation Section (Former Fellow, Business Law Section)
- Member, Federal Bar Association, San Diego Chapter
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association (Past Member, United States Magistrate Selection Committee; Past Member, Judicial Selection Committee)
- Master, American Inns of Court, J. Clifford Wallace American Inn of Court
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Life Member, National Bar Association (Past President and CEO)
- Trustee, Thomas Jefferson School of Law (Past Chairman)
- Trustee, Francis Parker School
- Manager, Jackie Robinson Family YMCA
- Past Member of the Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego Chapter
- Past President, Earl B. Gilliam Bar Association, San Diego, CA
- Past Chairman, National Court Appointed Special Advocate Association
- Past Chairman, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, General Alumni Association
- Past Chairman, Neighborhood House Association
- Past Chairman, Southeast Development Corporation, San Diego, CA
- Past Chairman, San Diego Food Bank
- Past Chairman, YMCA of San Diego County
- Past Director, San Diego Crime Victims Fund
- Past Director, NAACP, San Diego Chapter
- Past Director, High Five America
- Past Director, United Church Board for Homeland Ministries, UCC
- Graduate, LEAD San Diego, Inc. (Past Chairman, Alumni Board)