Randy is an esteemed trial attorney with experience representing public and private multi-national corporations and their executives, special committees and board directors in complex commercial litigation, enforcement and investigations, white collar criminal matters and government investigations nationwide. A first-rate trial lawyer, Randy draws on his extensive courtroom experience to provide value to clients, often through negotiation of efficient solutions. Drawing on his broad experience litigating dozens of jury verdict cases in federal and state courtrooms, Randy serves his clients with proficiency and composure. As an experienced trial attorney, Randy is quick to assess his clients’ legal situation and offer business advice that is reasonable, appropriate and in the best interest of his clients.
His industry experience extends from healthcare and government contracting, to insurance and financial services, retail and consumer products, sports, entertainment and real estate. Randy works in close alliance with individuals and companies to develop winning legal strategies.
Randy works closely with clients nationwide to develop and implement crisis management plans to help avoid costly business disruptions, negative publicity, lawsuits and government investigations. Randy’s experience conducting federal grand jury proceedings has afforded him invaluable insight into the needs of institutional and corporate clients facing sensitive and high-profile internal investigations.
As a former federal prosecutor and awarded trial attorney, Randy is uniquely qualified to assume cases from lawyers and law firms needing a more experienced trial attorney, a need that arises often when cases are headed for trial. Prior to joining Mintz as a partner in 2015, Randy served as an Assistant US Attorney in the Southern District of California and was responsible for the investigation, management and prosecution of numerous cases involving complex white collar fraud schemes and criminal conspiracies involving financial, immigration, illegal narcotics and violent crimes.
- University of North Carolina (JD)
- University of North Carolina (BA)
Complex Commercial Litigation
- In complex civil RICO case, represented Taiwanese creditor in claims against 34 foreign and domestic defendants. Successfully defeated over 30 motions to dismiss, managed millions of pages of written discovery, over 40 depositions on two continents and hundreds of discovery disputes before two court-appointed Special Masters. Defeated summary judgment and in limine motions. Favorably settled case at commencement of trial.
- Represented international multi-billion dollar diversified supplier to the foodservice industry in complex, multi-jurisdictional breach of contract case against a global supplier of food processing technology. Obtained favorable multimillion dollar settlement for our client.
- Defended an international commercial bank in an employment whistleblower case in the US District Court for the Central District of California. The case involved allegations of money laundering by the bank. After being engaged to replace existing trial counsel on the eve of trial, secured a reversal of a denial of summary judgement from a Federal District Court that resulted in a prompt and favorable resolution of the action.
- Successfully defended the owner of a recreational vehicle company from a large scale, multimillion dollar personal injury civil tort claim alleging multimillion dollars in damages resulting from the alleged physical injuries and emotional distress suffered by the driver of one of our client’s recreational vehicles. Secured a de minimus settlement and dismissal of the claim with prejudice.
- Represented major league baseball team foundation in business contract dispute involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and other claims.
- Represented distressed property investment company in defense of class action complaint alleging invasion of privacy claims related to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Obtained a decision by the New York Appellate Division to set aside the jury verdict against our client, a high-profile real estate developer, in a race discrimination case.
- Represented major national magazine publishing company in major trademark and copyright infringement lawsuit in US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Successfully defended the largest public school district in Tennessee in the US District Court for the Western District of Tennessee against wrongful termination allegations made by two school guards who claimed reverse discrimination in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Enforcement & Investigations
- Conducted a large scale internal investigation on behalf of a special committee of the board of directors of a multi-billion dollar fast food restaurant chain involving a dispute with the company’s franchise owners regarding the company’s marketing and advertising strategy.
- Represented international wholesale distributor of prescription drugs in California Food, Drug, and Medical Device Task Force and California Attorney General’s Office’s investigation involving allegations of failure to substantiate advertising, promotional and sales claims.
- Advised and drafted Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other anti-bribery statutes compliance and ethics guidelines for use by international man-made wave company in preparation for 2020 Olympics.
White Collar Defense & Government Investigations
- Represented a subcontractor in federal False Claims Act investigation conducted by the US Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of California. The allegations involved billing violations by a global aerospace and defense technology company. The case was settled and closed without any action being taken against our client.
- Represented a biotechnology diagnosis company in a national criminal and civil investigation involving multiple US Attorneys’ Offices and state Attorneys General Offices. The investigation involved allegations of kickback issues and billing violations.
- Represented certified public accountant in SEC investigation alleging insider trading. Avoided criminal charges for our client and matter settled without any government action being taken against our client.
- Represented owners of a durable medical equipment company in federal investigation involving fraud and anti-kickback violations.
- Represented individual connected to US Congressman in federal campaign finance fraud investigation.
- Represented full-service, acute-care public hospital in federal investigation related to unlawful claims for reimbursement of healthcare services in violation of the federal False Claims Act.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyer Commercial Litigation (2020 - 2021), Best Lawyers in America
- Preeminent Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell AV
- “Top 20 Lawyers of the Year”, California Lawyer
- “Top 25 Lawyers Under 40”, California Law Business Journal
- “San Diego’s Top Lawyers”, San Diego Magazine
- “100 Most Influential Leaders”, Ebony Magazine
- Distinguished Service Medal, UNC General Alumni Association
- Distinguished Young Alumni Award, UNC General Alumni Association
- Who's Who in American Law
- Public Lawyer of the Year, San Diego County Bar Association
- Local Hero Recipient, Union Bank/KPBS
- Honorary Doctor of Laws (LL.D.): Claflin University, Orangeburg, SC
- Member, US Senator Alex Padilla’s Southern District of California Judicial Commission
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, White Collar Crime Committee
- Member, American Bar Association, Litigation Section (Former Fellow, Business Law Section)
- Member, Federal Bar Association, San Diego Chapter
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association (Past Member, United States Magistrate Selection Committee; Past Member, Judicial Selection Committee)
- Master, American Inns of Court, J. Clifford Wallace American Inn of Court
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Life Member, National Bar Association (Past President and CEO)
- Trustee, Thomas Jefferson School of Law (Past Chairman)
- Trustee, Francis Parker School
- Manager, Jackie Robinson Family YMCA
- Past Member, Former US Senator Kamala Harris’ Southern District of California Judicial Commission
- Past Member of the Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego Chapter
- Past President, Earl B. Gilliam Bar Association, San Diego, CA
- Past Chairman, National Court Appointed Special Advocate Association
- Past Chairman, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, General Alumni Association
- Past Chairman, Neighborhood House Association
- Past Chairman, Southeast Development Corporation, San Diego, CA
- Past Chairman, San Diego Food Bank
- Past Chairman, YMCA of San Diego County
- Past Director, San Diego Crime Victims Fund
- Past Director, NAACP, San Diego Chapter
- Past Director, High Five America
- Past Director, United Church Board for Homeland Ministries, UCC
- Graduate, LEAD San Diego, Inc. (Past Chairman, Alumni Board)