Katy practices in the Environmental Law and Corporate and Securities Practices. Her environmental law practice includes representing clients in environmental litigation in state and federal court; counseling clients on compliance, enforcement and permitting under federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations; and advising potential buyers, sellers and related parties in a variety of complex corporate and real estate transactions.
Katy’s corporate practice focuses in part on the venture capital space, representing both venture capital firms and startups and emerging companies, including those in the life sciences and energy and clean technology sectors. Her practice also includes intellectual property and technology licensing in the life science, technology, and healthcare sectors. Katy is active in Boston’s diverse start-up community, advising and mentoring entrepreneurs on both legal and business challenges. Katy is also part of the firm’s Energy & Sustainability Practice, which has completed more than 500 transactions across energy sectors totaling over $7.5 billion since 2006.
Katy is active in pro bono work. She is a member of the firm’s Pro Bono committee and co-director of the Mintz’s Housing Court Program and has advised non-profit organizations on a range of issues, including formation, federal and state tax-exempt status and governing documents. Katy also participates in Mintz’s Domestic Violence Program, arguing an appeal of a denial of a restraining order before the Massachusetts Appeals Court and the single justice session of the Supreme Judicial Court.
Prior to joining Mintz, Katy worked as a legal intern at a national firm in New York in their corporate environmental practice group. She was also worked in the City of Boston’s Office of Environment, Energy & Open Space as a Rappaport Fellow.
- Boston University School of Law (JD)
- Trinity College (BA)
Recognition & Awards
- Richard Mintz Pro Bono Award (2015)
- Boston Bar Association Public Interest Leaders Program (May 2014-Present)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly and Massachusetts Bar Association "Excellence in Pro Bono" Award (2014)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star: Environmental Litigation list (2013 - 2017)
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law Civil Rights Recognition Award (2011)
- Mintz received the Acquisition International Legal Award for “US Environmental Law Firm of the Year” (2011, 2012, 2013)
- Board of Directors and Programming Chair, New England Women in Energy and the Environment (NEWIEE)
- Co-Chair, Women’s Bar Association, Legislative Policy Committee and Appointments Awards & Endorsements Committee
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association, Individual Rights & Responsibilities Section Council
- Advisory Board, Young Professionals in Energy (YPE)
- Member, refuel
- Member, Jimmy Fund Council of Greater Boston
- Boston Leadership Team, One Acre Fund
- Mentor, Cleantech Open Northeast (2011 - 2013)
- Former Member, ACLU of Massachusetts' Amicus Club Organizing Committee
- Former Co-chair, Boston Bar Association Real Estate Section, Real Estate Public Service Committee