Nick, a litigator with a national practice, represents insurers and reinsurers on all matters of coverage and bad faith. He also represents developers, property owners, and financing agencies with respect to permitting disputes and land use litigation. Nick serves as Chair of the Real Estate Litigation Practice.
Nick is a member in the firm’s Litigation Practice and is based in Boston. His unique practice focuses equally on insurance and reinsurance disputes and real estate litigation.
Nick represents insurers, reinsurers, and insurance brokers on all matters of coverage, including, for example, the duty to defend, allocation, order of coverage, retention warranties, and bad faith. His expertise includes commercial general liability, directors and officers liability and professional liability insurance, and both facultative and treaty reinsurance.
Nick’s Real Estate Litigation practice focuses on a wide range of clients, from developers to educational institutions to individual property owners, in disputes involving zoning, subdivision, affordable housing, and wetland issues.
While an associate at Mintz, Nick served as a Special Assistant District Attorney with the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office, where he handled numerous criminal matters and tried several cases before juries. Prior to joining the Firm, Nick was a law clerk for the Honorable Alexander H. Sands III of the Massachusetts Land Court.
- Northeastern University (JD)
- Union College (BA, Philosophy)
- Defended the developer of a mixed use project, which included over 60 residential units, in an appeal brought by a competing shopping center.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of developer in an action challenging of municipality’s inclusionary zoning determination.
- Argued an appeal of a Comprehensive Permit before the Supreme Judicial Court, which affirmed our client’s Comprehensive Permit for a residential development of approximately 150 units.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit brought by a municipality challenging a funding agency’s determination of eligibility for a Comprehensive Permit.
- Defended mall owners in an appeal by neighboring entities of a subdivision approval and variances issued in connection with development for a new anchor tenant, obtaining summary judgment on standing grounds.
- Successfully appealed to the DHCD a municipality’s determination that it had achieved an affordable housing statutory minimum.
- Represented North End Restaurant and property owners in suit against the MTA regarding the impact of the Big Dig, obtaining for our clients one of the largest jury verdicts in Massachusetts for 2015
- Defended an insurer through summary judgment and on appeal against breach of contract and bad faith claims by immediately deposing the insured and proving no damages, while preventing any depositions of the insurer.
- Defended an insurer against claims that it converted subrogation claims, obtaining summary judgment from the US District Court for the District of Oregon.
- Represented a college and a private secondary school in suits by neighbors challenging permitting for athletic fields.
- Brought an appeal of a special permit issued to allow the construction of a wind turbine on behalf of nearby land owners.
- Represented a UK based reinsurer in a $30 million reinsurance arbitration dispute involving rescission of a workers’ compensation program.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Litigation - Insurance (2018-2019)
- Best Lawyers in America: Litigation - Insurance Law (2019)
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce: Boston's Future Leaders (2013)
- President of the Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association (MReBA) (2016)
- Member, ARIAS-US
- Board of Directors, Magic Garden Children’s Center (2016-2017)