Kaoru focuses his practice on corporate transactions, securities law compliance, and general corporate matters. He counsels and represents companies in public offerings, including IPOs and shelf offerings, private placements, and SEC filing and reporting obligations. He also advises start-up companies, venture capital funds, and investors in entity formation, venture capital financings, convertible note and Simple Agreement for Future Equity (SAFE) financings, and on general corporate matters. Kaoru counsels companies across a variety of industries, including energy, clean tech & renewables, life sciences, and information technology.
Prior to rejoining Mintz in 2021, Kaoru was an associate in a national law firm, where he represented companies in transactions and general corporate matters and prepared a broad range of corporate securities filings and documents. He previously worked at Mintz as an Associate in the firm’s Corporate Practice and a Summer Associate.
While attending law school, Kaoru served as a judicial intern for the now-retired Honorable Michael J. Coyne of the Boston Municipal Court and worked as a researcher for Environment America and the Land Conservation and Advocacy Trust. In law school, Kaoru served as managing editor of the Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review and taught an undergraduate course in environmental law at Boston College.
- Boston College (JD)
- Rice University (MM)
- Rice University (BMus)
- Represented a life sciences company in an at-the-market offering program valued at up to $100 million.
- Represented a life sciences company in a reverse merger IPO and a simultaneous private placement transaction with a total value of approximately $85 million.
- Represented a life sciences company in a two-tranche Series A financing valued at up to $15 million.
- Represented a life sciences company in an $18 million IPO.
- Represented a life sciences company in a three-tranche Series C financing valued at up to $18 million.
- Represented a solar development company in a $25 million growth equity financing.
- Represented an energy efficiency app provider in a $10 million stock purchase acquisition.
- Represented an oncology-focused biotech company in a $50 million Series C financing.
- Represented a public life science company in a follow-on public offering of $345 million of common stock.
- Represented a public life science company in a sell-side merger with a private company that included $87 million in cash, stock, and redeemable notes.
- Represented a deicing service provider in a $95 million sell-side private equity buyout.
- Represent start-up companies on formation and corporate structure, including drafting certificates of incorporation with provisions to protect founders’ rights; form of equity incentive plans and stock option agreements; nondisclosure, non-competition and invention assignment agreements; stock restriction and stock purchase agreements; and the filing of 83(b) elections.
Recognition & Awards
- Identified in Best Lawyers in America as among the “Ones to Watch” – Corporate Law (2021)
- Included on the Ohio Super Lawyers: Ohio Rising Stars list (2021)