Kim founded and Chair's the firm’s Insurance Practice. She specializes in representing and advising insurers and reinsurers on the business and legal implications of a variety of complex coverage issues.
Her breadth of experience includes representing insurers with respect to coverage issues involving pollution, environmental, bad faith, tobacco, construction defect, product liability, directors and officers, bankruptcy, asbestos, and emerging risks. Kim represents cedants and reinsurers in disputes and litigation with respect to the applicability and/or scope of coverage under treaties or facultative certificates. Her practice also includes representing insurers in the London market and in state, bankruptcy, and federal courts across the country.
As lead counsel in numerous high-exposure coverage cases, Kim has developed successful models for effective case management and has designed and implemented litigation strategies that are driven by the business needs of the client. Kim also has a broad range of experience in advising and representing companies with respect to commercial business disputes in general, and environmental matters in particular.
She frequently speaks and writes on coverage issues and is an editor of the Insurance Coverage Law Bulletin.
- Suffolk University Law School (JD)
- Northeastern University (MS)
- Marquette University (BA)
- Defended an insurer through summary judgment and on appeal against breach of contract and bad faith claims by immediately deposing the insured and proving no damages, while preventing any depositions of the insurer.
- Defended an insurer against claims that it converted subrogation claims, obtaining summary judgment from the US District Court for the District of Oregon.
- Served as national coordinating coverage counsel for an insurer on a broad range of general liability claims, including concussion, cyber liability, environmental, and sex molestation claims.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts – Insurance (2017 – 2018)
- Best Lawyers in America: Insurance Law (2007 – 2018)
- Boston Globe Magazine: Boston’s Best Lawyers (2008)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage (2005 – 2017)
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Member, Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Member, American Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Member, ARIAS
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association