Kim V. Marrkand
Member / Founder & Co-chair, Insurance Practice
Kim is the founder and Chair of the firm’s Insurance Practice. She specializes in representing and advising insurers and reinsurers on the business and legal implications of a variety of complex coverage issues.
Her breadth of experience includes representing insurers with respect to coverage issues involving pollution, environmental, bad faith, tobacco, construction defect, product liability, directors and officers, bankruptcy, asbestos, and emerging risks. Kim represents cedants and reinsurers in disputes and litigation with respect to the applicability and/or scope of coverage under treaties or facultative certificates. Her practice also includes representing insurers in state, bankruptcy, and federal courts across the country.
As lead counsel in numerous high-exposure coverage cases, Kim has developed successful models for effective case management and has designed and implemented litigation strategies that are driven by the business needs of the client. Kim also has a broad range of experience in advising and representing companies with respect to commercial business disputes in general, and environmental matters in particular.
She frequently speaks and writes on coverage issues and has been a contributor to the American Law Institute with respect to the first Restatement of the Law, Liability Insurance.
- Served as national coordinating coverage counsel for an insurer on a broad range of general liability claims, including concussion, environmental, and sex molestation claims.
- Defended an insurer through summary judgment and on appeal against breach of contract and bad faith claims by immediately deposing the insured and proving no damages, while preventing any depositions of the insurer.
- Defended an insurer against claims that it converted subrogation claims, obtaining summary judgment from the US District Court for the District of Oregon.
News & Press
Twenty-Eight Mintz Attorneys Named To Boston Magazine’s Top Lawyers List
November 22, 2022
Benchmark Litigation Recognizes 13 Mintz Attorneys As 2023 Litigation Stars
September 29, 2022
Mass. Appeals Panel Lets Insurers Avoid $7M TCPA Coverage
January 10, 2022
A Tort Without a Cause: Section 12 of the Restatement of the Law, Liability Insurance
April 19, 2021
How a Broken Process, Broken Promises, and Reimagined Rules Justify the Bench and Bar’s Skepticism Regarding the Reliability of the Restatement of the Law, Liability Insurance
December 3, 2020
Ruling Provides Clarity in Settlement/Assignments
October 10, 2019
ALI Shouldn't 'Teach' Insurance Restatement In A Courthouse
February 11, 2019
Why Ohio Nixed The New Liability Insurance Law Restatement
August 10, 2018
Chambers USA 2018 Ranks Mintz Attorneys & Practices
May 03, 2018
Heeding Criticism, American Law Institute Pulls Liability Insurance Restatement Before Member Vote
May 25, 2017
Eighty-Four Mintz Attorneys Named 2016 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
October 18, 2016
Duty to Settle: Why Proposed Sections 24 and 27 Have No Place in a Restatement of the Law of Liability Insurance
September 1, 2015
Events & Speaking
November 2018 Travelers Symposium
MIReBA Symposium - "Broadening Horizons"
The ALI Restatement: Panic or Panacea
The Harvard Club of Boston - 374 Commonwealth Avenue Boston, MA 02115
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts – Insurance (2017 – 2023)
- Benchmark Litigation: Litigation Star, National - Insurance (2021 - 2023)
- Best Lawyers in America: Insurance Law (2007 – 2023)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage (2005 – 2022)
- Boston Magazine Top Lawyers – Insurance (2022)
- Boston Globe Magazine: Boston’s Best Lawyers (2008)
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Member, Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Member, American Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Member, ARIAS
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association