Michael’s practice focuses on joint ventures, funds and other partnerships and strategic relationships related to the ownership and operation of commercial real estate. He has extensive experience negotiating and drafting complex joint venture arrangements (including single asset, portfolio and programmatic joint ventures) for all types of commercial real estate, including office, retail, mixed-used, hotel, and multi and single family home projects. He also advises principals and sponsors on the structuring of general partner vehicles and management companies.
Michael represents institutional investors, including private equity funds, hedge funds and real estate investment trusts (REITs), as well as owners, developers and sponsors. He also advises clients on California real property and documentary transfer tax issues.
Prior to joining Mintz, Michael led the tax department at Pircher, Nichols & Meeks, a national real estate law firm, and served on its Executive Committee.
- Represented a real estate company in the recapitalization of a joint venture that owned a luxury hotel, including the negotiation of a new joint venture agreement with legacy investors and new mortgage financing.
- Represented a private equity fund in a joint venture transaction to recapitalize and redevelop a 30+ acre retail center.
- Represented a real estate company in the formation of a co-sponsor programmatic joint venture to develop and operate single family for-rent communities, and related equity fund raising.
- Represented a family office in the formation of a programmatic joint venture to provide sponsor equity to joint ventures with institutional capital partners.
- Represented a real estate company in the formation of a single asset fund to acquire and redevelop a 620,000 square foot mall property.
- Represented a private equity fund in a series of joint ventures to acquire multi-family projects with multiple operators in California, New Mexico, and Utah.
- Represented a real estate company in a joint venture transaction with a foreign partner to redevelop a 3-parcel project.