Suman is an industry-recognized first-chair litigator with two decades of experience advocating for major insurers and reinsurers in high value arbitrations, and in state and federal court litigation across the country. Collaborative and client-focused, Suman develops dispute resolution strategies tailored to his clients’ business objectives. He leverages his deep industry experience and knowledge to serve as both a determined litigator and a trusted advisor, helping his clients navigate and resolve the full range of risks they face.
Suman’s disputes practice confronts a broad range of issues affecting his clients in both the life and property and casualty industries. In the property and casualty field, Suman serves as lead national counsel for a third-party claims administrator and affiliated reinsurer in the defense of tort and contract actions relating to long-tail asbestos and environmental claims. In the life insurance area, Suman serves as lead trial counsel to one of the largest national life insurance companies in its disputes with reinsurers.
For several years, Chambers USA has listed Suman as a leading attorney in its insurer-side disputes rankings, identifying him as a “rising star whose clients adore him” and someone who is “highly knowledgeable, really understands the nuances of the work and is very effective counsel.” His surging reputation has also been recognized in Legal 500, Benchmark Litigation, and Expert Guides, and he is frequently invited to share his insights at industry conferences.
Suman also devotes his time to pro bono efforts and his past work has included providing successful representation of LGBT and HIV+ political asylum applicants, drafting an amicus brief to the Iowa Supreme Court in support of marriage equality, drafting an amicus brief to the Third Circuit in opposition to conversion therapy, and drafting an amicus brief to the United States Supreme Court in support of the rights of adoptive same sex parents. He recently served as Co-chair of the Board of Directors of the National LGBTQ Task Force, the country’s oldest national advocacy organization, and currently sits on the Board of its political action fund. He previously served as Vice President of the Board of Trustees of FFR/Princeton BTGALA.
- Georgetown University Law Center (JD)
- Princeton University (BA, cum laude)
- Served as first chair trial counsel to leading life insurance company in reinsurance arbitration related to YRT reinsurance agreements.
- Secured summary judgment for retrocessionnaire in dispute related to the allocation of claims across underlying policy years.
- Secured dismissal of RICO and other tort claims asserted by a policyholder against a reinsurer and third-party claims administrator.
- Secured dismissal with prejudice of contract and tort claims against a third-party claims administrator.
- Acted on behalf of an insurer in claims against a managing agent for failure to turn over premium.
- Represented a Middle Eastern government in post-award proceedings under the Canadian Arbitration Act.
- Advised a Swiss reinsurer on recoveries under sponsored catastrophe bonds.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: Dispute Resolution: Insurer in New York (2017 – 2020)
- The Legal 500: Recommended Lawyer (2016, 2018 – 2020)
- Benchmark Litigation: Future Star (2019, 2020)
- Expert Guide: Insurance and Litigation (2015 – 2020)
- Who’s Who of Insurance and Reinsurance (2019)
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Member, Asian American Bar Association of New York
- Member, Society of Actuaries (Reinsurance Section)
- Member, ARIAS-US