Susan’s clients depend on her in-depth industry knowledge and strategic insights. Her in-house experience informs her pragmatic, business-savvy counsel to health care industry clients. She regularly advises pharmaceutical services providers, managed care organizations, post-acute and long term care providers, and those who invest in the industry on the risks and potential benefits of strategic affiliations, complex service agreements, and due diligence in high profile transactions. She also provides counsel on government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, and compliance and regulatory matters. She has particular insight into the challenges facing managed care organizations, specialty pharmacies, and pharmacy benefit managers. Susan is also part of Mintz’s leadership team.
Susan is the Managing Member of the firm’s DC office, serves on the firm’s Policy Committee, and is Division Head of Mintz's Health Law, Communications, and Antitrust practices as well as ML Strategies, the firm’s government relations affiliate.
Clients look to Susan for her deep understanding of the health care industry and her extensive experience solving their most complex, cutting edge issues. However, a distinguishing feature of why clients turn to Susan is that she is able to provide industry insight and strategic guidance to help them determine the pros and cons of engaging in a transaction, as well as the best structure for that transaction, well before any issues or regulatory requirements are identified. Her broad client base includes:
- Pharmaceutical services providers such as PBMs, pharmacies, specialty care companies, and integrated delivery systems;
- Private and public health care service providers, including managed care organizations, such as Medicare Advantage Plan Sponsors, Medicare Part D Plan Sponsors (including Employer Group Waiver Plans), and Medicaid Managed Care plans;
- Providers of post-acute, home health, and hospice services; and
- Private equity firms and other investors in the health care sector.
Susan has led many complex due diligence projects of health care companies, in a vast array of areas including managed care, specialty pharmacies, pharmacy benefit managers, post-acute, home health, and hospice, to name a few. She also regularly provides counsel on compliance and regulatory matters, including federal programmatic and certification requirements, risk adjustment programs and practices, benefit design requirements for state and federal programs, fraud and abuse and anti-kickback rules, state regulatory requirements relating to drug pricing and coverage, and government policies, procedures, and reporting requirements. She routinely advises these clients in the context of strategic affiliations and complex service agreements.
Susan has been in the client’s shoes and this drives her holistic view of the industry and her pragmatic business advice in solving legal issues and managing legal expenses. Her in-house experience has given her a unique perspective on the need to devise practical, pragmatic, business-focused solutions to issues in a cost effective and timely manner. From 2006 to 2008, Susan served as general counsel of the Public and Senior Markets Group at UnitedHealth Group, a Fortune 10 company. In this role, she was responsible for the legal and regulatory oversight of UnitedHealth’s government programs, including Medicare and Medicaid, and was also legal counsel for all pharmacy services.
Susan has been recognized by Chambers USA for several years. One Chambers-quoted client called her “brilliant,” noting that she “has a really deep knowledge across the whole spectrum of healthcare, not just one area.”
- Columbia University (JD)
- University of Rochester (BA)
- Served as regulatory counsel to a consortium of investors led by TPG Capital and Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe in their $4.1 billion acquisition of Kindred Healthcare, Inc. (NYSE:KND). The transaction was recognized by The Deal as the 2018 Private Equity Deal of the Year.
- Advised a consortium of investors led by TPG Capital and Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe in their $1.4 billion acquisition of Curo Health Services.
- Advised a global health care company on a variety of issues in connection with its acquisition of several health plans and provider groups, including health care regulatory due diligence, health care regulatory advice regarding transaction structure and strategy, and preparation of regulatory notices and other filings.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: District of Columbia – Healthcare (2013 – 2019)
- Recognized byThe Legal 500 United States for Healthcare: Service Providers (2014 and 2018-2019)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 United States for Healthcare: Life Sciences (2019)
- Recognized as a Health Care Trailblazer by the National Law Journal (2019)
- International Law Office and Lexology: “Client Choice Award” – Healthcare & Life Sciences, District of Columbia (2015)
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar at Columbia University
- Phi Beta Kappa