Carolina focuses her practice on the protection of client innovations in the mechanical, electrical, and computer science arts, including technologies involving artificial intelligence (AI). Leveraging her experience as an in-house counsel and registered patent attorney, Carolina aids with patent preparation and prosecution, strategic portfolio development, freedom to operate analysis, licensing, and diligence for companies with cutting-edge technologies. She represents clients across the technology, life sciences, medical devices, and automotive industries.
Prior to rejoining Mintz, Carolina was the director of intellectual property at a Massachusetts-based medical robotics company. In that role, she partnered with the company’s executive team to develop and manage an IP strategy aligned with the company’s business goals. Working in collaboration with the company’s R&D team, she also built and managed a US and international patent portfolio focused on the surgical robotics field that included mechanical, electrical, software, and AI-related technologies.
In addition to her IP experience with a company in the medical robotics field, where Carolina worked on patent matters involving a range of medical technology, including surgical instruments, network communications, and innovations using artificial intelligence (AI), she has significant experience in the automotive industry. Carolina regularly aids clients in obtaining patent protections for their cutting-edge advancements in autonomous vehicles, fuel cells, environmentally friendly technologies, driver-assist technologies, battery systems, and transmissions.
Earlier in her career, Carolina was an associate at another international law firm. She also previously worked as a patent agent at an intellectual property boutique firm in Boston, where she concentrated on the patent prosecution of a variety of technologies, including consumer products, mechanical technologies, and electrical devices.
January 14, 2021 | Blog | By Christina Sperry
June 23, 2020 | Blog | By Peter Corless
May 15, 2020 | Blog | By Peter Corless
News & Press
Recognition & Awards
- Managing Intellectual Property: Rising Star (2018 – 2019, 2021 – 2022)
- Co-Chair, Patent Law Committee, Boston Bar Association (2021 – present)
- Co-Chair, Business & Marketplace Committee, Boston Patent Law Association (2022 – present)
- Board Member, Esplanade Association (2017 – present)
- Board Member, The North American Station (2015 – present)
- Former Co-Chair, IP Year in Review Committee, Boston Bar Association (2019 – 2021)
- Former Co-Chair, Moot Court Committee, Boston Patent Law Association (2017 – 2022)
- Former Chair, Governance & Nominating Committee, Esplanade Association