Nathan is a seasoned bankruptcy attorney with extensive experience across the restructuring and insolvency arena, including with distressed finance and creditor rights matters, mergers and acquisitions transactions, and bankruptcy litigation. He has a strong track record of successfully representing institutional investors, indenture trustees, public debt holders, strategic and financial buyers, and asset-based lenders in distressed debt transactions involving corporations, public projects, and defaulted municipal securities. Nathan works with clients in a wide variety of industries, including health care, senior living, derivative financial products, retail, energy, manufacturing, and financial services.
Nathan has represented clients in cases connected with Chapter 7, Chapter 9, and Chapter 11 filings across the country, including Lehman Brothers Holdings, W.R. Grace & Co., United Airlines, Sentinel Management Group, Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, City of Detroit, City of San Bernardino, Verity Health System of California, Fairmont General Hospital, Casa Grande Regional Medical Center, Forum Health, The Clare at Water Tower, Sears Methodist Retirement System, Deerfield Retirement Community, Peterson Health Care, Mirador, AMERCO Real Estate Company, and Enron Corp.
In addition to his restructuring work, Nathan assists clients with the preservation of collateral and creditor rights and remedies upon a counterparty default or bankruptcy. He also counsels clients on the Bankruptcy Code “safe harbor” treatment of derivative financial product transactions.
Prior to joining Mintz, Nathan was a partner at an international law firm, where he represented clients in a broad spectrum of debt restructuring matters, bankruptcy cases, and transactions involving distressed assets. He was previously an associate with a Chicago-based law firm that focuses on municipal finance.
Before attending law school, Nathan worked for the International Swaps and Derivatives Association as a documentation policy analyst. He has also previously served as an adjunct faculty member at the Loyola University Chicago School of Law.
- University of Iowa (JD, with distinction)
- University of Iowa (BS)
- Represented the indenture trustee on behalf of holders of $220 million in outstanding bonds in default and restructuring matters involving a portfolio of 17 senior living communities.
- Represented bondholder with $370 million of debt issued by the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico in its Title III proceeding.
- Represented the indenture trustee in connection with Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Verity Health Systems, a California hospital system, with respect to bond obligations in excess of $160 million.
- Represented a bond trustee in matters involving $170 million of debt issued by City of San Bernardino, California, in its Chapter 9 proceeding.
- Represented bondholders with $180 million of debt in a Chapter 9 bankruptcy and sale of hospital system in California.
- Represented a bond insurer in Chapter 9 bankruptcy case of the City of Fairfield, Alabama.
- Represented a strategic buyer in the acquisition of a multi-hospital system through a Chapter 11 auction in Ohio for $120 million.
- Represented an indenture trustee and institutional investors ($70 million tax exempt financing) in connection with the default, financial restructuring, and out-of-court bond exchange of a Texas-based continuing care retirement community.
- Represented an indenture trustee ($43 million tax exempt financing) in connection with the default and state court receivership action involving a Texas-based senior living facility.
- Represented bondholders with $88 million of debt in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy and sale of an Illinois-based continuing care retirement community.
- Represented an indenture trustee ($43 million tax exempt financing) in connection with the default, bond exchange and pre-packaged chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding involving a Iowa based senior care facility.
- Represented derivative financial product counterparties in the termination, close-out settlement, and prosecution of claims with an aggregate value of more than $156 million related to the bankruptcy of a global financial services firm.
- Represented numerous purchasers of distressed assets in bankruptcy section 363 sales.
- Represented numerous secured lenders in connection with enforcement of rights and remedies, including litigation, receiverships, and UCC foreclosures.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2013 – 2016)
- Chicago Magazine, American Registry, Top Attorney in Illinois (2018)
- Included on the Illinois Super Lawyers list: Bankruptcy: Business (2010 – 2021)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 United States for Finance: Municipal Bankruptcy (2013 – 2018)