Dean is Chair of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions Practice. He has extensive experience representing Fortune 500 companies, private equity firms, venture-backed and closely held companies, and executives in executing middle-market mergers and acquisitions across a broad range of industries, including technology and software, medical device and health care, industrial and manufacturing, media and marketing, publishing, retail and consumer products, life sciences, and financial services. His experience includes strategic acquisitions and divestitures, private equity transactions, management buyouts, cross-border deals, distressed sales, complex earn-out arrangements, equity and debt financings, and recapitalizations.
As part of his practice, Dean also regularly counsels closely held and venture-backed emerging-growth companies as well as private equity-backed portfolio companies, including in connection with capital raising transactions, general corporate matters, and exit strategies.
- Represent the Healthcare and Lighting divisions of Philips Electronics North America Corporation, the North American operating company of Koninklijke Philips NV (NYSE: PHG), in connection with middle-market mergers and acquisitions and other strategic transactions. Representative transactions include:
- the acquisition of a medical device business;
- the acquisition of a home health care monitoring business;
- the acquisition of a sleep diagnostics business;
- the acquisition of a manufacturer of energy-efficient lighting solutions;
- the acquisition of a provider of specialized lighting solutions for health care facilities;
- the acquisition of a supplier of integrated solutions for the management of lighting and energy use;
- the divestment of a diagnostic imaging business;
- the divestment of a remote patient monitoring business;
- the divestment of several dental-related business units; and
- the divestment of a superconductive wire manufacturing business.
- Represented Reveal Imaging Technologies, Inc., a venture capital-backed manufacturer of explosive and other threat detection products and services, in the sale of the company to Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), a leading provider of scientific, engineering, systems integration and technical services and solutions.
- Represented D.W. Healthcare Partners, a middle-market private equity firm, in the acquisition of a clinical research organization.
- Represented Frazier Healthcare Ventures, a middle-market private equity firm, in a cross-border platform acquisition of a medical device company.
- Represented a New Hampshire-based manufacturer of advanced composite adhesive materials in its sale to a Fortune 500 manufacturer of building materials.
- Represented a closely-held, Boston-based utility contractor in connection with the sale of a majority interest in the company to a private equity firm.
- Executed dozens of acquisitions in the e-commerce and media and marketing industry for Alloy, Inc., including acquisitions involving college and high school media, display media, advertising services, and social network marketing.
- Represented Verathon, Inc., a medical device portfolio company of a middle-market private equity firm, in connection with the sale of the company to a large strategic buyer.
- Served as US counsel to the owners of a UK-based food distributor in connection with its sale to a US-based private equity firm.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in connection with the acquisition of a specialty metals manufacturer.
- Represented a founder of a credit card processing company in a connection with a private equity-led recapitalization.
- Represented the founder of a food product company in connection with the sale of the company to one of the world’s largest food companies.
- Represented the management team of a financial advisory and investment banking firm in a going-private transaction led by a private equity firm.
- Represented a venture capital-backed drug screening life sciences company in its sale to a publicly traded life sciences company.
- Represented a magazine publisher in connection with numerous acquisitions and divestments.
- Represented two closely held providers of laser and lamp-based illumination systems in their sale to an Irish company.
- Represented a European-based, privately held pharmaceutical company in a merger of equals with a US-based, privately held pharmaceutical company.
- Represented the management team of a regional insurance company in a private equity-led recapitalization.
- Represented a closely held point-of-sale software and hardware provider in its sale to a provider of business management and e-commerce systems software.
- Represented a global consulting firm in connection with an acquisition of a closely held health care-focused consulting firm.
- Represented a privately held provider of search technology solutions in its sale to a global software and service provider.
- Represented two privately held advertising-based software companies in their sale to a US-based software company.
- Represented a US-based sports information services business in its sale to a Canadian-based sports information provider.
Recognitions & Awards
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Mergers & Acquisitions (2011 – 2015)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star – Mergers & Acquisitions (2005)