Brad is an experienced patent litigator and trial lawyer who represents clients in federal courts around the country, including US district courts and the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and at the International Trade Commission. He counsels clients in a variety of sectors, including high technology related to electronics, automotive technologies, medical technologies and various consumer products. With a background in mechanical engineering and over 15 years of experience, Brad has successfully represented patent owners’ rights against infringers, protected those rights from invalidity challenges and negotiated favorable settlements.
Brad has served as both lead and co-counsel in front of judges and juries at trial in U.S. district courts, the International Trade Commission and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent Office, argued for clients at evidentiary hearings before Article III judges, deposed and defended numerous fact and expert witnesses, and successfully managed large and small litigation teams through all phases of discovery and pretrial. He has litigated intellectual property cases in District Courts throughout the United States, including the Eastern District of Texas, the Southern, Central and Northern Districts of California, the District of Delaware and the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Brad’s litigation experience also extends to post-grant proceedings before the PTAB, where he has successfully defended patent owners’ rights against inter partes review (IPR) challenges and co-chairs the firm’s Post Grant practice. The Mintz post-grant team has achieved success rates for patent owners well above the industry average.
Brad is also the Editor of Mintz’ IP blog. In his spare time, he works as the bandleader and bassist for the 8-piece jump blues band, The Slicked-Up 9’s, and plays bass in New York rock act, The Incumbents.
- Villanova University (JD)
- Lehigh University (BSME)
- Served as lead counsel on behalf of the plaintiffs in a 10-day jury trial concerning patent infringement, involving passive electronic components, in the Eastern District of New York. The jury returned a verdict in favor of the plaintiffs, finding infringement of both asserted patents (Am. Tech. Ceramics Corp. et al. v. Presidio Components, Inc., 14-06544-KAM (E.D.N.Y. 2014)
- Representing an owner of patents directed to assembly and fastening technologies against automotive manufacturers and suppliers in the District of Delaware (Wildcat Licensing WI LLC v. General Motors et al., 1:19-cv-00833-MN-JLH, 1:19-cv-00834-MN-JLH, 1:19-cv-00839-MN-JLH, 1:19-cv-00840-MN-JLH ,1:19-cv-00842-MN-JLH, 1:19-cv-00843-MN-JLH, 1:19-cv-00844-MN-JLH, 1:19-cv-00845-MN-JLH, 1:19-cv-00846-MN-JLH) (D. Del.))
- Represented Intellectual Ventures II LLC in IPR proceedings concerning encapsulated stator motor technology (IPR2017-01537, IPR2017-01558)
- Co-lead counsel for complainant in Certain Thermoplastic-Encapsulated Electric Motors, Components Thereof, and Products and Vehicles Containing Same (337-TA-1052)
- Represented Patent Owners American Technical Ceramics Corp. and AVX Corporation in IPR proceedings concerning technology for multilayer capacitor structures (IPR2015-01330, IPR2015-01331)
- Represented Patent Owner Footbalance System Oy in IPR proceedings concerning shoe insoles (Petition denied in IPR2015-01770; all claims upheld in IPR2015-01769)
- Represented owner of electronic payment system patents in patent infringement litigation (MoneyCat v. PayPal, Inc., 14-2490 (N.D. Cal.))
- Represented and achieved successful settlement for video-game developer and manufacturer in four-patent infringement litigation concerning motion-controlled video gaming (Shinsedai Co. Ltd. v. Nintendo Co., Ltd., 11-2799 (S.D. Cal.))
- Defended and achieved successful settlement for skin care company in patent infringement and unfair competition action (Allergan v. Peter Thomas Roth Labs, LLC, 07-1316 (C.D. Cal.))
- Presidio Components, Inc. v. American Technical Ceramics Corp., 07-893 (S.D. Cal.) – defended electrical components manufacturer in patent infringement action concerning multilayer capacitors.
Recognition & Awards
- Included on the New York Super Lawyers: Rising Stars - Intellectual Property Litigation list (2014 - 2018)