Kristopher is a transactional attorney who focuses his practice on project development and finance, and mergers and acquisitions.
Kristopher has significant project development and finance experience representing sponsors, investors, funds, and developers in co-investments, joint ventures, acquisitions, divestitures, financings, and various project development arrangements for the energy (renewable and conventional), oil and gas, infrastructure, mining and minerals, and satellite sectors.
Kristopher has also represented financial sponsors, strategic investors, sellers, management teams, and financial advisors in a wide range of M&A transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, recapitalizations, strategic investments, joint ventures, financings, and other commercial arrangements. His M&A practice covers a broad range of industries, including the manufacturing, financial services, technology, print and broadcast media, defense, oil and gas, and professional services sectors.
Prior to joining Mintz, Kristopher was a senior associate in the Washington, DC office of a global law firm.
Select project development, project finance, and M&A representations:
Energy & Sustainability
- Represented the developer and co-sponsor in connection with the development and financing of a gas-fired power project in Pennsylvania.
- Represented a Japanese trading company in a proposed investment in a 1,000+ MW gas-fired power project in Virginia.
- Represented the seller in connection with the proposed sale of a 50% interest in a 1,000+ MW gas-fired power generation facility.
- Represented an energy company (as developer and co-sponsor) in connection with the conversion of its coal-fired power plant into a 1,100+ MW gas-fired power generation facility in Pennsylvania.
- Represented a Japanese energy company as co-sponsor of a wind farm project in Argentina under the RenovAr renewable energy program enacted by the Argentine government, which includes support from the Argentine government and the World Bank.
- Represented a Japanese energy company in its acquisition out of bankruptcy (via 363 sale) of a solar development portfolio and related assets from SunEdison.
- Represented a Japanese trading company as the lead consortium member in the bid to acquire a portfolio of geothermal projects located across Asia.
- Represented the bidder for the development and financing of an offshore gas compression facility in Mexico.
- Represented an investment firm (as co-sponsor) in the acquisition of a Texas-based oil field equipment manufacturer. Represented the portfolio company in the follow-on acquisition of a competitor business and in a $200 million high-yield notes offering and subsequent reporting requirements.
- Represented a financial holding company in the sale of its US trust company subsidiary.
- Represented a securities firm in its acquisition out of bankruptcy (via 363 sale) of technology assets used in a desktop trading platform.
- Represented a securities firm in its minority investment in a software company specializing in desktop trading programs.
- Represented a capital markets firm in its acquisition of a boutique financial advisory firm.
Mining and Minerals
- Represented hedge fund investors in connection with a joint venture with a leading Chinese mining company. Represented the joint venture in the successful acquisition out of bankruptcy (via 363 sale) of the largest rare earths mine in North America, and the follow-on acquisition of mine equipment owned by one of the bankruptcy creditors as part of a global settlement among certain creditors of various claims relating to the bankruptcy. Represented the joint venture in the successful consummation of a SPAC transaction.
Real Estate, Construction & Infrastructure
- Represented a real estate investment company in the negotiation of a design and construction agreement for the expansion of a senior living facility.
Technology, Communications & Media
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with a minority investment in and extension of a loan facility to an air combat training company.
- Represented a US private equity firm in the acquisition of a German software company.
- Represented a global social media company in a satellite project as part of its widely publicized initiative to bring internet connectivity to underdeveloped areas of Africa.
- Represented a Hong Kong–based sponsor in connection with its investment in a satellite project providing coverage throughout Africa.
- Represented a management group in the acquisition of a print media company.
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of a portfolio of broadcast television stations.
Energy & Sustainability Legal Feature — The Recently Announced Federal-State Partnership to Accelerate the Development of Offshore Wind Projects
August 8, 2022 | Article | By Kristopher Kirkwood, Alana D. Agron
Energy-as-a-Service: the Netflix-ification of the Energy Market?
July 15, 2021 | Blog | By Kristopher Kirkwood, Luke Haubenstock
News & Press
Mintz Represents NET Power on $1.459 Billion Business Combination with Rice Acquisition Corp. II
December 14, 2022
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia