Mathilda’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and arbitration across a variety of areas and industries. Mathilda regularly advises clients in all stages of litigation, from pre-litigation counseling and investigation through discovery, dispositive motion practice, trial, and appeals. She has experience defending depositions, arguing motions, and serving as second-chair in a high-profile trial.
For clients in the education sector, Mathilda draws on her academic training in education policy and her broad experience in the industry, including as a former legal intern at the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, an Education Pioneers Fellow, and, prior to law school, an administrator at Columbia University, where she developed university policies and communications. Mathilda has leveraged this experience to advise clients on compliance with federal education laws and aid clients in navigating Title IX investigations on campus, among other ways.
Mathilda also has an active pro bono practice. In 2017, she helped an immigrant secure release from ICE custody after nearly a year of detention on a petition for a writ of habeas corpus in federal court. She has also assisted non-citizens seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile status through Mintz’s partnership with Kids in Need of Defense (KIND), a rape crisis center in responding to a subpoena for the case file of a sexual assault survivor, and a terminally ill mother in making permanent guardianship arrangements for her children through the Dana Farber Medical-Legal Partnership.
Prior to joining the firm, Mathilda served as a judicial law clerk, first to the Honorable Robert J. Cordy of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, and then to the Honorable Douglas P. Woodlock of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. During law school, Mathilda was editor-in-chief of the Boston College Law Review and a student attorney in the Boston College Legal Assistance Bureau.
- Boston College (JD, magna cum laude)
- Columbia University (MA)
- Oberlin College (BA)
- Defended an insurance holding company against alleged bad faith claims brought under M.G.L. chs. 93A/176D in connection with its handling and adjusting of a wrongful death claim.
- Represents a limited liability company in complex commercial litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery relating to claims concerning contractual interpretation and fiduciary duties
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of a consumer class action involving unsolicited text messages under the TCPA
- Obtained a favorable arbitration award in California in a dispute over an oral joint venture to open and operate a garment manufacturing facility in China
- Part of a team that obtained complete dismissal of a breach of contract and antitrust complaint in federal district court
Recognition & Awards
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Economic Justice, Associate Pro Bono Award (2016)
- Order of the Coif
- McGrath & Kane Award, Boston College Law School
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Board Member, Apprentice Learning (2016 – present)
- At-Large Member, Oberlin College Alumni Leadership Council (2016 – present)
- Member, Supreme Judicial Court Law Clerks’ Society Governing Board (2015 - present)
- Member, ONEin3 Advisory Council to Mayor Thomas M. Menino (2013 - 2014)
- Member, Executive Board & Nominations Committee, Oberlin Alumni Association (2011 - 2014)
- Class Trustee, Oberlin College (2007 - 2010)