Michelle is a seasoned litigator with a multifaceted practice that encompasses complex commercial litigation, white collar defense, and government investigations. She has extensive experience with shareholder, construction, product liability, and contract disputes as well as consumer class actions and criminal defense matters. She represents clients in a broad spectrum of industries, including pharmaceuticals, manufacturing, education, financial services, health care, construction, technology, retail, and telecommunications, as well as governmental entities and nonprofits.
A dynamic and driven practitioner with 20 years of experience, Michelle nimbly guides clients through all phases of litigation before state and federal courts and administrative bodies. She regularly provides counsel on highly sensitive matters, often assisting with crisis management and strategies for handling the press. Her practice includes representing corporations and individuals being investigated by or targeted for indictment by the US Department of Justice or for prosecution by various federal and state agencies. She also represents colleges, universities, and university systems in investigations.
Prior to joining Mintz, Michelle was a partner at a US-based law firm, where she handled a wide range of high-stakes litigation. She also served in several leadership roles at the firm, most recently as the managing partner of the Baltimore office, a member of the Executive Committee, and
Michelle also serves in leadership and board roles at numerous bar, civic, and alumni organizations. She has received many honors for her work, including being named a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation and one of the "Most Influential Black Lawyers" by Savoy magazine.
In law school, Michelle served on the Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law.
* Not admitted to practice in the District of Columbia. Working under the supervision and guidance of members of the Bar of the District of Columbia. Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland only.
- Represented a high-profile client in criminal and related civil matters in Delaware and Maryland.
- Represented a manufacturer in a multimillion-dollar, international breach of contract matter that was settled via arbitration.
- Represented a municipality in a multimillion-dollar breach of contract case that was settled via mediation.
- Represented a multinational retailer in a $25 million bench trial for breach of lease, which resulted in a partial summary judgment for the defense.
- Handled multidistrict litigation on behalf of a national retail organization against a builder of approximately one dozen stores in multiple states. The matter involved approximately $30 million in overall construction claims and resulted in favorable judgments and subsequent settlements for the client, including the coordination of replacement contractors and suppliers.
News & Press
Mintz Names New DC Office Leader
April 4, 2023
Mintz Taps New Office Managing Members In SF, DC
April 3, 2023
Mintz Announces New Member Growth
December 16, 2022
Saul Ewing's Baltimore Leader Jumps To Mintz In DC
October 19, 2022
Saul Ewing Executive Board Member, Office Leader Exits for Mintz
October 18, 2022
Preeminent Litigator Michelle N. Lipkowitz Joins Mintz
October 18, 2022
Recognition & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation: Litigation Star (2023)
- Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation (2023)
- The Daily Record: Influential Marylander (2021)
- Benchmark Litigation: Local Litigation Star in Maryland (2020 to present)
- Baltimore Business Journal: Leader in Diversity (2019)
- Savoy magazine: Most Influential Black Lawyers list (2015, 2018, and 2022)
- Included on the Maryland Super Lawyers list (2015 to present)
- ABA Forum on the Construction Industry: Fellow (2013 – 2015)
- The Daily Record: Leader in the Law (2014)
- Girl Scouts of Central Maryland, The Distinguished Women's Award (2014)
- Selected to the Maryland Super Lawyers: Rising Stars list (2013 and 2014)
- National Bar Association and IMPACT: Nation's Best Advocates: 40 Lawyers Under 40 (2013)
- The Daily Record: Named to the "Top 100 Women in Maryland" list (2013)
- Named a "Mover and a Shaker" by Diversity & the Bar magazine (2011)
- The Daily Record: Named one of Maryland's "Leading Women" (2010)
- The Daily Record: VIP List (2010)
- Board Member, University of Maryland Medical System
- Board Member, Folio Collaborative
- Former Chair, Transportation Professional Services Selection Board, State of Maryland
- Former Chair and Member, Baltimore City Board of Municipal and Zoning Appeals
- Former Member, Character Committee, Second Appellate Circuit of Maryland
- Former Member, Baltimore County Planning Board
- Former Board Member, Baltimore Urban Debate League
- Former Board Member, Park Heights Renaissance
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (2014)
- Fellow, Baltimore Bar Foundation
- Trustee, Baltimore Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Leadership Academy, Maryland State Bar Association (2003-2004)
- Executive Member, Academy Committee, Leadership Academy, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Member, Judicial Nominating Committee, Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Member, Bench Bar Committee, Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Member, Women's Bar Association of Maryland
- Member, Monumental City Bar Association
- Maryland interviewer, Harvard Alumni Association
- Member, Harvard Club of Maryland
- Member, Harvard University Black Alumni Association
- Member, Georgetown University Law Center Alumni Association
- Member, Potomac School Alumni Association
- Member, Groton School Alumni Association