Scott has a robust complex commercial litigation practice and has consistently achieved successful litigation results for clients in fields including finance, environmental, health care, communications, antitrust, insurance, and gaming law. Scott also has significant experience advising clients on regulatory matters in these areas.
Prior to joining Mintz, Scott worked at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP where his experience included successfully working on a number of high-profile civil litigations and regulatory investigations.
Scott graduated magna cum laude from Columbia College, Columbia University, where he placed on the dean's list every semester. Scott received his JD from Columbia University School of Law, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and member of the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law. Scott clerked in 2009 - 2010 for the Honorable William H. Walls, US District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Columbia University (JD)
- Columbia University (BA, magna cum laude)
- Represented private equity placement firm in arbitration with buy-out firm regarding payment of placement agent fee
- Represented leading global asset management company and senior director of company defending against claims of breach of contract, tortious interference, and civil conspiracy
- Represented fund manager of a shariah-compliant real estate fund in civil litigation and SEC investigation relating to the fees paid to the fund manager
- Represented major financial institution in multi-agency cross-border criminal and regulatory investigation
- Represented aircraft manufacturer in securities class action
- Represented physician in investigation by Civil Frauds Units at the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of New York regarding propriety of physician’s coding, documentation and reimbursements
- Represented pharmacy benefit management company in dispute relating to alleged breach of its obligations under the Medicare and Medicaid Prescription Drug Services Agreements
- Represented multinational computer technology company in cutting-edge antitrust litigation
- Represented bank in antitrust review in connection with merger
- Represented cable broadband provider in civil litigation against competitor concerning payment of invoiced rates for VoIP traffic
- Represented cable operator in administrative proceeding regarding program carriage dispute
- Represented cable operators in FCC Enforcement Bureau inquiries
- Represented insured in a D&O coverage action
- Represented insured in a declaratory judgment action arising out of no-fault insurance claims
- Advised insurer on regulatory issues relating to the National Flood Insurance Program
General Commercial Litigation
- Represented reality television star in breach of contract and copyright litigation
- Represented apparel company in putative class action relating to alleged product defects
- Represented regional bus company in dispute regarding access to fuel tanks on leased property
- Represented antiquities collector in alleged unlawful importation and money laundering federal prosecution
- Represented employee accused of electronic theft of information in state prosecution
- Represented brokerage employee in sentencing involving a highly complex voluntary deportation
- Advised client on setting up valid sweepstakes under New York law
- Advised client on various issues involving fantasy sports wagering
- Represented sports bettor in alleged unlawful gambling and money laundering federal prosecution
- Represented Apollo Global Management in conjunction with the Stark Master Fund litigation, a securities fraud case. Following jurisdictional discovery, Apollo filed a compelling motion to dismiss based on jurisdictional grounds, and the Plaintiffs decided to voluntarily dismiss Apollo from the case rather than try to battle Apollo’s motion in court.
- Represented a senior, long time investment bank executive who was at the center of the bank’s conduct during the subprime crisis. We led the executive’s interactions with Congress, the SEC, the DOJ, the FCIC, and in private lawsuits - all of which received widespread media coverage.
- Representing the fund manager of a shariah compliant real estate fund in a matter commenced by the fund’s sponsor. The dispute relates to the fees paid to the fund manager. We are representing the fund manager in the SDNY litigation and the related SEC investigation.
- Advised real estate management companies regarding insurance and indemnification provisions in lease agreements.
- Represented insurance carrier in high profile litigation matters related to Hurricane Sandy including several RICO actions and a New York State Department of Financial Services investigation.
- Represented an individual in an alleged sports gambling operation in a case where the government accused the group of running an illegal bookmaking operation, money laundering, and other activities.
- Representing a senior executive of a publicly-traded global gaming (including sports betting) enterprise in connection with multi-country securities inquiries and class actions alleging stock manipulation.
Recognition & Awards
- New York Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Business Litigation (2014 - 2016)
- Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty, February 2014 Volunteer of the Month
- Providing pro bono legal guidance to two organizations on matters of labor and employment law
- Member, Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty, Young Leadership (MVP) Committee