Andrew is a skilled intellectual property attorney and commercial litigator who is adept at handling a wide array of matters. He litigates patent, trademark, and copyright disputes in courts around the country, and prosecutes patents and trademarks before the US Patent and Trademark Office. His capabilities also encompass entertainment law and general commercial litigation. Companies in diverse sectors — technology, consumer products, life sciences, manufacturing, nonprofits, arts and entertainment, among others — seek his representation in cases, disputes, contract negotiations, and settlement discussions. His breadth of work has involved famous intellectual property rights, as well as startup companies just developing their rights.
Andrew’s practice is focused on patent, trademark, copyright litigation, and entertainment law. In addition, Andrew has prosecuted hundreds of patents and trademarks before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Andrew is frequently sought after for his legal expertise. He has appeared on CNBC’s Squawk Box and has been featured on KCEO radio as a commentator on intellectual property law. He served as an expert witness on trademark law in California state court, presented on issues of IP to numerous trade groups, schools, and industry clients, and has spoken at the University of San Diego and San Diego State University regarding intellectual property and entertainment law. He serves on the board of multiple local non-profits, including Chelsea’s Light Foundation and the U.S.-Georgia Friendship Association, along with serving on the Advisory Board of ZIP Launchpad, an on-campus incubator at San Diego State University, which supports university affiliated startup companies.
Andrew is a semi-professional magician and member of The Academy of Magical Arts.
He also has managed a number of little league baseball, softball, and basketball teams as well as the school sponsored Science Olympian teams.
- New York University (JD, cum laude)
- University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign (BSEE, Minor in Computer Science, Highest Honors)
- Manage and protect global patent portfolio for Ruby Tuesday, Inc.
- Represented SpinMaster, a leading global children's entertainment company, in a patent infringement case related to the company's Zero Gravity® Laser toy vehicle, which was named "Best Toy" by Popular Mechanics at the 2019 Toy Fair. Obtained a preliminary injunction in December 2019 enjoining the sales of the infringing toys by defendant, which was appealed. The parties settled their dispute and the case was dismissed by stipulation.
- Manage and protect global patent portfolio for &pizza.
- Successfully represented former NFL linebacker, 3x pro bowl, Rookie of the Year, Shawne Merriman in numerous IP matters, including litigation against Under Armour Inc.
- Represents Acorns in patent and trademark matters around the world.
- Represents Black Girls Rock! with respect to trademark matters.
- Represents Silk Road Medical in trademark matters around the world.
- Represents PriceSmart in global intellectual property matters,
- Represents Barnana with respect to trademark matters.
- Represents Orchid cryptocurrency in global trademark matters.
- Represents toy company BOTI International Ltd. in global trademark matters.
- Represents Evofem Biosciences, Inc. in global trademark matters.
- Represents Skillz in global trademark matters.
- Represents X-Artists Books with respect to trademark matters
- Successfully represented MMA fighter Rampage Jackson in a lawsuit with his former manager.
- Represented SeQual Technologies, Inc. in a patent infringement lawsuit, obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Settled a case for ASICS spokesperson/wrestler Jordan Burroughs in a dispute against Burroughs' previous licensee Represented ASICS in a contract litigation involving Lutte Licensing Represents ASICS in its patent matters before the US Patent and Trademark Office
- Successfully licensed the Bel Air brand for numerous film and television projects
- Settled a patent infringement case for Chart Industries, Inc. against GP Strategies Corporation and continues to represent Chart Industries, Inc. in its patent matters before the US Patent and Trademark Office
- Representing The Brain Observatory, a non-profit research and public benefit organization, in trademark and licensing matters.
- Represents Upper Deck International in a litigation adverse to The Upper Deck Company.
- Represents Pony, Inc. in its trademark matters around the world
- Represented Michelle “Bombshell” McGee in a contract dispute.
- Represented Stephen Slesinger, Inc. regarding rights to the Winnie-the-Pooh characters, obtaining summary judgment against the Walt Disney Company
- Represented Stormceptor Corp., obtaining a favorable jury verdict of patent infringement.
- Represented New Name, Inc. against Disney Enterprises, Inc., regarding trademark and copyright infringement, obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Represents Red Ryder with respect to trademark matters.
- Represented Cook Like a Chef, Inc., regarding the television program, Cook Like a Chef.
- Assist Fantasy Sports, LLC in managing their growing IP portfolio.
- Represents the Sierra Nevada Corporation in various intellectual property matters.
- Represented Avid Identification Systems, Inc., obtaining a mandatory preliminary injunction against Banfield, the Pet Hospital.
- Representing Chelsea’s Light Foundation, a non-profit organization working to protect children from sexual predators, in trademark and contractual matters.
- Represented Intel Corporation, obtaining summary judgment against a major competitor
- Represented Equiplite, in a patent infringement litigation, obtaining a favorable result.
- Represented Clariti Eyewear, Inc. in successfully appealing to the Federal Circuit, obtaining summary judgment in a patent infringement case. See Aspex Eyewear, Inc. v. Clariti Eyewear, Inc., 605 F. 3d 1305 (Fed. Cir. 2010)
- Represented Angles BeautyCare Group, Inc. in a jury trial concerning trademark infringement and unfair competition, obtaining a favorable settlement
- Represents Bullets2Bandages, an apparel brand designed to give thanks to veterans and their families, in various intellectual property matters.
- Represented Pony, Inc. in two separate trademark disputes against Ford Motor Company and Nike, obtaining favorable results in each case.
- Obtained judgment for client and maximum statutory damages award for cybersquatting, trademark infringement, and unfair competition
- Obtained a $12 million summary judgment motion for a breach of contract related to pet food ingredients.
- Settled a patent infringement case for Suicide Fantasy Sports against ESPN Inc.
Recognition & Awards
- San Diego Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property Litigation (2019 - 2020)
- Southern California Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property Litigation (2013 - 2017)
- San Diego Daily Transcript: Top Attorney: Intellectual Property Litigation, Intellectual Property Transactional (2008)
- Board Member, Chelsea's Light Foundation
- Board Member, U.S. - Georgia Friendship Association
- Advisory Board, ZIP Launchpad Incubator
- Arbitrator, Better Business Bureau (2000 – present)