Katy is an accomplished tax lawyer whose practice encompasses all areas of Canadian and cross-border corporate income tax law for public and private companies. She serves as a trusted advisor to clients across a wide variety of industries, utilizing her deep problem-solving capabilities to analyze complex tax issues and provide practical, tailored business advice. Katy works with companies in the financial services, consumer products, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, health care, energy, technology, fintech, and blockchain industries.
Katy’s multifaceted practice includes a significant focus on tax issues involving mergers and acquisitions, corporate transactions and reorganizations, banking transactions, investment and hedge funds, and private equity matters. In her taxation of executive compensation work, she provides guidance on all aspects of the design and implementation of tax-efficient executive compensation plans for public and private companies, including equity and non-equity-based incentive compensation arrangements. Katy also frequently advises companies and investment funds on taxation issues surrounding segments of the digital economy, such as fintech and blockchain.
A sought-after thought leader, Katy regularly speaks and writes on the taxation of cryptocurrency, executive compensation, and other tax topics. In her frequent presentations at the Canadian Fintech Summit, she has discussed tax issues facing start-ups.
Prior to joining Mintz, Katy was head of the Tax Practice of a Canadian law firm focused on corporate, securities, and transactional law. Earlier, she was a tax lawyer at another Canadian business law firm.
In addition to earning an LLB, Katy has also completed Parts I and II of the CICA In-Depth Tax Courses with the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants.
- Advised craft brewer Waterloo Brewing on its sale to multinational brewing company Carlsberg Group for $144 million.
- Counseled Advanced Health Intelligence Ltd. (now InHealth Intelligence), an information management company for health organizations in the United Kingdom, on its acquisition of Canadian health technology company Wellteq Digital Health Inc.
- Advised film and television production studio Studio City Toronto and Studio City Rentals, an equipment rental provider for the film and entertainment industry, on its sale to Sunbelt Rentals of Canada, Inc.
- Advised new age media and entertainment company QYOU Media on its $3.2 million public offering of units.
- Advised blockchain services company Blockchain Foundry Inc. on its sale to Canadian financial services technology company WonderFi Technologies Inc.
- Counseled Canadian stock exchange, the NEO exchange, on its sale to Cboe Global Markets, Inc.
- Counseled oil and gas company NG Energy International Corp. on its $17 million prospectus offering of debenture units.
- Counseled global cannabis company The Flowr Corporation on its $35 million sale of its subsidiary Holigen Holdings to two companies in the medical cannabis space, Akanda Corp. and CannaHealth Limited.
- Advised First Ledger Corp., the parent company of cryptocurrency marketplace Bitbuy Technologies Inc., on its sale for $206 million to WonderFi Technologies Inc.
- Advised Canadian multinational banking and financial services company CIBC, as lead agent, for the $130 million IPO of the Starlight Western Canada Multi-Family (No.2) Fund.
- Served as an advisor on the reverse takeover of Givex Information Technology Group Limited, a gift and loyalty program company, and its launch of trading on the TSX.
- Advised on the sale of the minority interest in Fresh Restaurants, a chain specializing in plant-based food, to restaurant chain operator Recipe Unlimited Corporation.
- Served as an advisor on Flow Beverage Corporation’s reverse takeover and trading on the TSX.
November 21, 2023 | Blog | By Katy Pitch
News & Press
September 29, 2023
September 25, 2023
Recognition & Awards
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: Corporate Tax; Investment Funds & Asset Management – Investment Funds – Tax (2022 – 2023)
- Lexpert: Rising Star Awards – Leading Lawyers Under 40 (2018)
- Member, International Fiscal Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Board Member, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Toronto