A two-time BTI Consulting Group Client Service All-Star, Stephen has developed a reputation for immersing himself in his clients’ businesses, becoming a valued advisor to c-suite members and in-house counsel. He is called upon not only for his experience in structuring, negotiating and consummating complex transactions, but also to provide thoughtful, targeted and practical advice addressing the myriad legal and business issues that impact his clients’ day-to-day operations and long-term success.
Stephen represents both public and private companies in a broad range of domestic and international transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and private equity investments, leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, restructurings, joint ventures, and strategic alliances. He has represented clients in industries as diverse as financial services, healthcare, life sciences, telecommunications, manufacturing, hospitality, retail and sports and entertainment.
Stephen has worked extensively with acquirers, targets, special committees, stakeholders, and advisors in a variety of domestic and cross-border M&A transactions. In light of his past experience in investment banking, Stephen brings specialized knowledge to the representation of investment banking firms in their representation of clients in M&A transactions, including in connection with the conduct of auction processes and the rendering of fairness opinions.
Stephen is Managing Member of the New York office, and heads the Corporate & Securities Practice in New York. He has also served on the firm’s Policy Committee.
Before joining the firm, Stephen was involved in investment banking, serving first as general counsel and as a member of the Corporate Finance Department and Management Committee of Commonwealth Associates, and later as a co-founder and President of Barington Capital Group, LP, two concerns providing services to small and mid-sized capitalization companies. Additionally, he had been a partner in two New York-based firms.
Stephen graduated with honors from the Fordham University School of Law where he was a member and an associate editor of the Fordham Law Review.
- Fordham University (JD, with honors)
- University of Colorado (BA, Mathematics)
- Representation of fifteenfortyseven Critical Systems Realty, LLC, a developer and operator of data centers, in numerous acquisitions, joint ventures, and financings.
- Sale of Wolf-Gordon, Inc., a design company providing wall covering, upholstery, drapery, textiles, and paint, by Corinthian Capital Group
- The acquisition of IMS Partners, Incorporated, a provider of marking, coding, and labeling equipment and services, by Hitachi America, Ltd.
- The acquisition of INVNT, LLC, a company involved in the execution and production of events and the digital and traditional media and creative support of such events, by Time, Inc.
- The acquisition of Consolidated Coal Company, a subsidiary of CONSOL Energy, by Murray Energy Corporation (represented financial advisor to target)
- The sale of MacDermid Incorporated to Platform Acquisition Holdings Ltd. (counsel to MacDermid Incorporated management team)
- The acquisition of Aciex Therapeutics, Inc., a company involved in opthalmics, by Nicox S.A., a French public company
- The acquisition and subsequent sale of Friedrich Air Conditioning Co., Ltd. by Corinthian Capital Group, LLC
- The sale of Adolor Corporation, a publicly traded developer of prescription pain and pain management products, to Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (represented financial advisor to target)
- The sale of Omega Engineering, Inc., a leading manufacturer and marketer of products and customized solutions in the process measurement and control industry, to Spectris plc
- The sale of American Technical Ceramics Corp., a publicly traded manufacturer of electronic components, to AVX Corporation
- The sale of the Telx Group, Inc., a premier operator of telecommunications facilities, to GI Partners
- The acquisition of the US securities brokerage business of Investec Ernst & Company by Maxim Group LLC
- The sale of Teleponce Cable TV, the owner and operator of cable television systems in Puerto Rico, to Centennial Communications Corp.
Recognition & Awards
- BTI Consulting Group Client Service All-Star (2012, 2017)
- New York Super Lawyers: Mergers & Acquisitions (2011 – 2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States for M&A: Middle-Market (2020)
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Secretary, Committee on Corporation Law, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (1987 – 1990)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, ABA Corporation, Banking and Business Law Section