A three-time BTI Consulting Group Client Service All-Star, Stephen has developed a reputation for immersing himself in his clients’ businesses, becoming a valued advisor to c-suite members and in-house counsel. He is called upon not only for his experience in structuring, negotiating and consummating complex transactions, but also to provide thoughtful, targeted and practical advice addressing the myriad legal and business issues that impact his clients’ day-to-day operations and long-term success.
Stephen represents both public and private companies in a broad range of domestic and international transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and private equity investments, leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, restructurings, joint ventures, and strategic alliances. He has represented clients in industries as diverse as financial services, healthcare, life sciences, telecommunications, manufacturing, hospitality, retail and sports and entertainment.
Stephen has worked extensively with acquirers, targets, special committees, stakeholders, and advisors in a variety of domestic and cross-border M&A transactions. In light of his past experience in investment banking, Stephen brings specialized knowledge to the representation of investment banking firms in their representation of clients in M&A transactions, including in connection with the conduct of auction processes and the rendering of fairness opinions.
Stephen is Managing Member of the New York office, and heads the Corporate & Securities Practice in New York. He is also a member of the firm’s Policy Committee.
Before joining the firm, Stephen was involved in investment banking, serving first as general counsel and as a member of the Corporate Finance Department and Management Committee of Commonwealth Associates, and later as a co-founder and President of Barington Capital Group, LP, two concerns providing services to small and mid-sized capitalization companies. Additionally, he had been a partner in two New York-based firms.
Stephen graduated with honors from the Fordham University School of Law where he was a member and an associate editor of the Fordham Law Review.
- Represented Pharmerit International, a company engaged in providing healthcare economics and outcomes research services (HEOR), in its sale to OPEN Health, a healthcare communications and market access group
- Represented NCI Communications, Inc., d/b/a The Hill, the nation’s leading, independent, political digital media platform, in its sale to Nexstar Media Group, a broadcast TV and internet media company
- Represented PresenceLearning, Inc., a provider of teletherapy and software for special education and mental health providers in K-12 schools, in its acquisition of Global Teletherapy, a teletherapy service provider to virtual K-12 schools, and separately, a majority investment from Spectrum Equity, a growth equity firm, and The Rise Fund, TPG’s multi-sector global impact investing strategy
- Represented Ferra Holdings Limited, an Australia-based provider of highly engineered, complex and advanced components, sub-systems and assemblies for the military aerospace and commercial aerospace end markets, in its sale to Accurus Aerospace Corporation, a portfolio company of private equity firm Liberty Hall Capital Partners
- Represented Monomoy Capital Partners in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of Cast-Crete Holdings, LLC, a building products company, and acquisitions of May Manufacturing, LLC, d/b/a Artesian Spas, and Marquis Hot Tubs LLC, both manufacturers of hot tubs, swim spas, and related products
- Representation of fifteenfortyseven Critical Systems Realty, LLC, a developer and operator of data centers, in numerous acquisitions, joint ventures, and financings.
- Sale of Wolf-Gordon, Inc., a design company providing wall covering, upholstery, drapery, textiles, and paint, by Corinthian Capital Group
- The acquisition of IMS Partners, Incorporated, a provider of marking, coding, and labeling equipment and services, by Hitachi America, Ltd.
- The acquisition of INVNT, LLC, a company involved in the execution and production of events and the digital and traditional media and creative support of such events, by Time, Inc.
- The acquisition of Consolidated Coal Company, a subsidiary of CONSOL Energy, by Murray Energy Corporation (represented financial advisor to target)
- The sale of MacDermid Incorporated to Platform Acquisition Holdings Ltd. (counsel to MacDermid Incorporated management team)
- The acquisition of Aciex Therapeutics, Inc., a company involved in opthalmics, by Nicox S.A., a French public company
- The acquisition and subsequent sale of Friedrich Air Conditioning Co., Ltd. by Corinthian Capital Group, LLC
- The sale of Adolor Corporation, a publicly traded developer of prescription pain and pain management products, to Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (represented financial advisor to target)
- The sale of Omega Engineering, Inc., a leading manufacturer and marketer of products and customized solutions in the process measurement and control industry, to Spectris plc
- The sale of American Technical Ceramics Corp., a publicly traded manufacturer of electronic components, to AVX Corporation
- The sale of the Telx Group, Inc., a premier operator of telecommunications facilities, to GI Partners
- The acquisition of the US securities brokerage business of Investec Ernst & Company by Maxim Group LLC
- The sale of Teleponce Cable TV, the owner and operator of cable television systems in Puerto Rico, to Centennial Communications Corp.
June 2, 2020 | Blog | By Alexander Song, Anne Bruno, Michael Arnold, Steve Gulotta, Andrew Bernstein
November 2, 2018 | Video | By Steve Gulotta
November 13, 2014 | Blog
News & Press
September 29, 2022
August 16, 2021
August 15, 2021
Mintz Practice Groups and Attorneys Garner Top Rankings in 2020 Edition of The Legal 500 United States
June 12, 2020
February 07, 2017
Recognition & Awards
- BTI Consulting Group Client Service All-Star (2012, 2017, 2022)
- New York Super Lawyers: Mergers & Acquisitions (2011 – 2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States for M&A: Middle-Market (2020 – 2022)
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Secretary, Committee on Corporation Law, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (1987 – 1990)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, ABA Corporation, Banking and Business Law Section